Why Mac?

Magnus

Hi, I've been working with Prepress for the last 20 years and since I started we've always been using Mac's at the Prepress departments. But in the last year I have a growing feeling that it might be better if we transitioned to Windows (11).

I can't think of any software that we use that is not compatible with Windows. And since we are using a lot of Microsoft products such as Teams, MS Dynamics BC, Windows file servers and various Azure solutions I think that Windows PC's would be a better choice.

We have a strong Mac-culture within our Prepress departments so I'm not sure that a transition to Windows will be met with happy cheers...

What's your take on Mac vs Win for Prepress work in this day and age?

I think it just comes to personal preference. I recognize flaws in both systems, and I have both in my office, but I prefer the Mac. That is probably largely because the Mac they bought was to my specs, while the PC is some cheesy throwaway business spec Dell.

I agree with @kslight, this is really up to personal preference. I currently use a Mac 70% of the time and Windows the other 30%
I personally feel that W11 has "dumbed" down the experience and that has made simple tasks a little harder to achieve.
I also feel that some MS products work BETTER in the Mac versions.

I use AppleScript quite a bit to automate desktop and InDesign tasks. Most, if not all of it, could probably be rebuilt in JavaScript or other language but I understand AppleScript way better than JavaScript.

Lots of reasons why the industry use macs and not gate box's
1, They just work. personally been using macs in pre-press for 30 years now, never had one fail.
2, Bosses like how they look
3. Status
4. Performance
5 Value for money
6. Less Virus issues
i could go on and on
main reason in the past for mac, would have been Fonts, but thats now gone.

Now that Apple no longer uses Intel processors we don't need those huge cooling cases to prevent throttling from the heat generated, that caused the pauses in both platforms. Those new chips kick-a$$ even on a M2 mini.

I was a Mac die-hard for the beginning of my career since my graphic design school and first couple print shops that I worked at had Mac's. Then I went to a larger shop and was surprised to find they had Windows PCs. I was impressed with the performance of the PC I used. I did a lot of video editing at that company along with print design. Typically, when you start a video render, it 'renders' your computer useless until it finishes. However, I was able to start a render and continue working in Photoshop/Illustrator without any issue. The inplant I work at now is all PC and we operate just fine. The biggest challenge was getting used to different keyboard shortcuts and the slightly different interface of system settings.

Hi, I've been working with Prepress for the last 20 years and since I started we've always been using Mac's at the Prepress departments. But in the last year I have a growing feeling that it might be better if we transitioned to Windows (11).

I can't think of any software that we use that is not compatible with Windows. And since we are using a lot of Microsoft products such as Teams, MS Dynamics BC, Windows file servers and various Azure solutions I think that Windows PC's would be a better choice.

We have a strong Mac-culture within our Prepress departments so I'm not sure that a transition to Windows will be met with happy cheers...

What's your take on Mac vs Win for Prepress work in this day and age?
Strictly a business decision - Pick the options below that matter the most.

1. Macs hold their value better - PCs allow more homogeneity (software/support).
2. Speed of operation is at least a wash in most programs with comparable hardware.
3. Maintenance is still easier on Macs i.e. rarely needed - User management by admins definitely more complete on PCs.
But MAC user management (see iPhones for example) is typically minimal.
4. User preference can make or break - Production matters.
We use PCs for single use workstations with great results.
The design and file prep is done on Macs - way more user friendly OUTSIDE of Adobe and Microsoft.

YMMV.

Lots of reasons why the industry use macs and not gate box's
1, They just work. personally been using macs in pre-press for 30 years now, never had one fail.
2, Bosses like how they look
3. Status
4. Performance
5 Value for money
6. Less Virus issues
i could go on and on
main reason in the past for mac, would have been Fonts, but thats now gone.
I was gonna mention - 6. That is reassuring, when the client sends you on a wild goose chase on questionable websites to find a font they didn’t include or a vector image.

To add to my post - I have an m1 Mac mini, medium spec (512gb ssd and 16gb ram) and it runs all the design apps flawlessly. Every slow down I have is caused by MS onedrive… I have over a dozen apps open at any given time, and I just leave the computer running 100% of the time. Almost never needs a reboot. Absolutely silent, the size of a book, and no heat. Can’t complain.

The platform wars are over. Fonts play nice on both, and Adobe is platform agnostic. So is Microsoft (at least the parts of MS that would touch a prepress department). And the cloud doesn't care what OS is accessing it. So Mac or Windows? It's a personal preference unless there's an ultra-specialized need that requires a specific platform.

My preference will always default to Mac, but I use both. At a minimum it keeps my brain cells exercised to see what each side is doing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back