Windows 7 to mac server connection... HOW!??

txcynna

I tried a search for this topic but probably used the wrong words (if this has been addressed please point me to the thread so I don't rehash what has gone before)... I also posted this in the information technology forum but have gotten no response and then thought if anyone is going to run into this problem, prepress people will.

We have a new PC running Windows 7 and for the life of me I cannot get it to connect to our files on the mac server. I can see it in the list of network places and the server can be seen but it will not connect.

I did find the following info somewhere else on the internets which people were saying worked like magics but apparently my magics are not strong enough because I followed these instructions and we still can't connect to the mac server. I need to get this figured out soon, because there are other PCs in the building that will be replaced soon and they really need to be able to access the files server.
Anyone have any ideas or handy hints?

From Windows 7:
1. Type Secpol.msc in start button.
2. Expand "Local Policies" and select "Security Options."
3. Alternate : Type secpol.msc to get editor up then
4. Locate "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" in the list and double-click it.
5. Change the setting from "Send NTMLv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -use NTLMv2 session if negotiated" Apply & OK.
6. Then locate "Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based (including secure RPC) Clients."
7. Change the setting from "require 128 bit" to unchecked (No Minimum).
8. Click Apply and OK.

Thanks!!
Donna

You have to enable Samba sharing on your Mac server for a PC to connect

++++++++++++++++

Unless you want to control your Mac, then you would use the VNC software to control it. You dont have to install VNC on your Mac, the Apple operating software support VNC connection. You just need to enable the "remote management" and put in some password for VNC access.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't read fully that you were trying to connect to a mac SERVER. I connected to a Windows server, via TightVNC, and was able to access a mac from a Windows 7 computer.

I love Apple and would choose them a million times over Microsoft but their Networking always teed me off.

Sidenote....

I also use TightVNC Server on a windows 7 machine. I connect to it from my MAC using ChickenoftheVNC. Not sure if this could help you or not. You shouldn't need these to connect via samba though.

Hi Donna,

Assuming you have already created your Windows-compatible shares on the Mac server (I am not familiar with Mac OS X Server), on your PC, it should be as simple as:

1. Click Start and invoke the Run program.
2. In the Run window, type: \\IP Address of your Mac server\Share Name.
3. You should get a window asking for a user name and password to connect. In my testing, I had to use the Mac's Administrator user name and password for it to work.

Does this help?

Best regards,
hp

Well... the powers that be are replacing the 'server' machine (like I suggested over a year ago because who even has a mac with a powerpc processor anymore?) so I guess... problem solved? Apparently, the big part of the problem was the operating system from the land that time forgot not being able to talk very well with the newer OS. Getting a mac mini to take it's place since, now that I dug around and asked questions, it turns out that it isn't even really a server. Just a way for people to get to the hard drive. *sigh*
I swear I would have never called it a server if everyone else here didn't call it that.

Thanks for all the help though. I knew you guys would come through.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back