Worst job that ever crossed your screen.

naplajoie2000

Just received worst load of crap I have ever seen come across our desk. It was given to us from a sister company because their press they normally run this thing on was down. It was a PDF file that was obviously generated from MS Word, it was one color, it was a 240 page document.

First thing I noticed was that there were 299 pages in the PDF. Upon further inspection, the problem was that the page footers which included all the folio and common footer text was reflowing to next page followed by a page break. That explained extra pages.

Second, every black text block with ko copy had converted to a rastered 72 dpi image with artifacts surrounding the box. Looked horrible. And if that wasn't bad enough, almost every box had shifted and cut off ko copy. One even shifted columns and overprint a paragraph of black type.

Third, they had numerous font issues where the headers and titles were mixing and matching different typefaces and treatments in the same line of type. The bullets throughout the document were misaligned with the line of copy.

The kicker, after we pointed out the faults, spent a couple hours trying to get someone from sister company to contact their client and notify them of our issues...their response was...PRINT IT, and shut up, we know it's crap, we do it all the time. So, we printed it on a Saturday and charged them overtime.

I feel dirty after that job, I need to take a shower!

Who has to pay if the customer doesn't like it, your company or the sister company.

Unfortunately, the whole world has to pay for this crap.

It would be very productive on a global scale to take some boneheads out of the buying and employed population. Then some "real" work could get done, rather than cleaning up after someone's niece or nephew who can't be otherwise employed.

Did you send the PDF back for them for approval.
I sometimes resend them their own PDF and they come back with changes as if it's my fault.

The weirdest one I ever had was a booklet to be printed on a "digital press." Every time we printed a proof on it, something else changed - a font scrambled, a graphic dropped off, a calendar messed up, a graphic turned solid black, something different each time. I figured there was no telling how many hands had been on this job with parts made perhaps from internet apps. We never could get it to print completely correctly once. Never had another job quite like it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back