Wow - the future of Inkjet

rik1

check out www.memjet.com and watch the wide format video.
It's one of those wow moments where you can see the future of wide format.
NB. I don't work for them/or even do that much wideformat, but when you see the speed of this machine it's truly amazing.

Re: Wow - the future of Inkjet

Hi Rik1,

I am exploring the new site too.

Had a look at the site, the closeups of the inkjet heads was all I looked at.

There were too many videos to wade through, which one were you refering to?

Regards,

Dan

Sorry - it's the Wide format video - about half way down the page. Check out the speed of that thing!

Such a simple concept. I suspect cost is the only reason no one did it before? Truely amazing. curretnly only 5 channels(colors?) though. Definatly something to watch. image that thing in a multi web configuration with some inline finishing?

Our paper rep showed me a video a couple months ago of that thing. I just about had to change my pants! I had a hard time finding much out about the front end of it, and specs that would allow apples to apples comparisons as far as output resolutions are concerned. Maybe there's more info out there now... Pretty fast though. I kept watching the clock in the background to make sure the second hand was moving at the appropriate speed.

Wow!
That truly IS amazing!
Here's the verbiage that the page has as of today about it:
"Memjet Wide-format printer
- 52-inch printhead contains 422,400 nozzles and prints up to 5.4 billion dots per second
- Paper moves under printer at up to 12 inches per second (6 inches per second at native 1600 dots per inch)
- Scalable technology allows for any printhead width and can create prints of any length
- Technology prints from a PC Desktop and creates quality photo prints with 5 color channels
- Potential retail pricing below $5000"
Hmmm...

That almost seems surreal. Holy cow! That's one cool link, thanks!

check out the montage video. color label printer, photo printer, A4 printer and wide format.

I wonder if this tech could spell the end of offset?

Re: Wow - the future of Inkjet - maybe inkjet plates?

Re: Wow - the future of Inkjet - maybe inkjet plates?

Now if only someone would apply mems tech to a CTP imagesetter for inkjet plates...now THAT would be something...Oh wait..Kodak ..are you listening?? HUMMMM Perhaps that crashing sound is the metal PS plate market nose diving.

It looks amazing and I told other people about this website...

This must be their purpose because when I give it a second thought, it is not real....

At this moment there is no ink in this world that can dry _that fast_, exept for UV curable but we see no UV curing...

They are not making equipment and what do we see in the movies?
If the machine were real, time to market would not be that long.

It is just a demonstration of something they think could be possible (if they just collected more money...)

The machines are outputting pre-printed sheets of paper.

On the other hand there are a lot of developments in inkjet and maybe in a couple of years this is reality and we can see it live on Drupa 2012?

I am impressed by the sure speed of the device. But really, when it comes down to it, is the device color accurate and to what degree??? I would need first hand analysis to sell me.

the last post to this thread was OCT.07. Has there been any further movement w/ this technology. if it comes close measuring up it will truly adjust pricing structures. Half voting for it's success, half hoping it's post video magic. Please LMK if anyone has heard anything further.

> {quote:title=Gemon wrote:}{quote}
> You will see mems at drupa.
> Silverbrooks from Oz

Did anyone see theses at Drupa?

MEMS as a technology was there at Drupa...couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting some form of inkjet printer, and most heads are MEMS based now days. Memjet as a company itself wasn't displayed as far as I could tell, and though there were some impressive devices from all over, none were spitting out at the speed on the videos at memjets website.

But how about this from HP...

http://h10088.www1.hp.com/cda/gap/d...jsp?zn=gap&cp=1-247-251-7724^81156_4000_100__

I wouldn't exactly call this high quality yet, but eventually....

Ink Jet Technology

Ink Jet Technology

I saw an article in a trade magazine last year that predicted MEMS technology coming to the desktop within a matter of months, not years. If that is so, then it cannot be too far behind for plate imaging.

Incidentally, you can see the latest in ink jet web offset, the Agfa Dotrix here

Product Guide

Future of Inkjet

Future of Inkjet

Check out the Fuji booth at Print 09show with their Inkjet press that does 80 ftper minute of high quality offset comparable color. Also the Inca Onset which does larger high speed high res color. All color managed stuff. Inkjet is here and within the next year it will make a huge impact. I have not seen all the other projects but both wide format and commercial size printing will be impacted soon.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back