Xerox 700, Bugs worked out yet?

Jackie

Hi there, looking for an entry level colour production machine and the Xerox 700 seems to fit the bill. The machine has been out for a while and it's well documented on this site the initial issues that it had as it was "rushed" out for DRUPA.

What's the prevailing opinion on the machine right now? Have they got it sorted out or is it still buyer beware.

Thanks for you input.
J

I have a 700 and over the last 6 months probably have averaged 1 call per month. I have an 800 and a KM5501 as well and the 700 is by far up the most per 1m clicks.

Hi there, looking for an entry level colour production machine and the Xerox 700 seems to fit the bill. The machine has been out for a while and it's well documented on this site the initial issues that it had as it was "rushed" out for DRUPA.

What's the prevailing opinion on the machine right now? Have they got it sorted out or is it still buyer beware.

Thanks for you input.
J

Some of that will still depend on your job requirements on a daily basis. We liked the quality on the 700 but had to pass because they wouldn't support some of the paper we print on daily.

Some of that will still depend on your job requirements on a daily basis. We liked the quality on the 700 but had to pass because they wouldn't support some of the paper we print on daily.

We print only simplex 220gsm+ and text weight on our 700 for the most part. We run everything else on our 800. We rarely manually duplex on the 700 but when we do we do not have any registration issues. We have tricked our machine into auto duplexing 270gsm from time to time.

Like I said before we are extremely happy with ours and see a tech for this machine once a month.

Xerox 700

Xerox 700

I guess I'm referring to the many issues talked about on this site. Here is an older post.

http://printplanet.com/forums/digital-printing-discussion/16394-feedback-wanted-xerox-700-a/5

This dates back to 2008. Mentioned here (and in other posts) were mottling, RIP issues, skewing and a limited amount of stocks that would actually work.

My concerns are colour consistency, coverage and the ability to handle 120-130 lb gloss or matte cover. (Single sided)

We have a large client and we have been unable to achieve their corporate colours with any sort of regularity on, admittedly inferior, light production machines. The 700 looks like an entry level production machine to me. I was just hoping to hear how these were running in the real world.

Thanks for your input.
J

This dates back to 2008. Mentioned here (and in other posts) were mottling, RIP issues, skewing and a limited amount of stocks that would actually work.
Any issues from 2008 should have been fixed by now. Black mottling fixed early in 2009. RIP issues? what exactly? The Xerox 700 is performing well based on its specifications about skewing. Limited amount of stocks? See below

My concerns are colour consistency, coverage and the ability to handle 120-130 lb gloss or matte cover. (Single sided)
120-130lb cover is out of specs for the Xerox 700. It can run gloss or matte up to 110lb cover. Anything heavier than that try at your own risk. Many people do it without issues though.

We have a large client and we have been unable to achieve their corporate colours with any sort of regularity on, admittedly inferior, light production machines. The 700 looks like an entry level production machine to me. I was just hoping to hear how these were running in the real world.
Achieve corporate colors - Are those PMS colors? Red 032 in offset is different from Red 032 in digital, regardless if it is an entry level or high end solution. The RIPs have color management tools to make the colors as close as possible.

Thanks for the updates everyone.

I totally realize that CMYK digital is never going to exactly match a PMS colour, as long as it's fairly close to the CMYK conversion that's all I ask. The clients colours are a fairly friendly CMYK match so there's no worries there. What I'm looking for is some sort of colour consistency and I hope the ability to apply an icc profile to the output.

We are a GRACOL shop and I'm hoping the rip will be able to apply the gracol2006 icc profile. Once again I realize fully that offset and digital are apples and oranges but a similar appearance would be ideal.

The volumes for each job are not large (that is why we need a digital alternative) so I'm hoping we can get away with the 120lb. I'm not surprised that 130lb might be a bit too much to handle.

Thanks for the input, any recommendations are appreciated.

J

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back