Xerox 700 Fiery Photo Sharpness?

We have been running the Xerox 700 with external Fiery for about a month and have noticed on repeat jobs done previously on Canon CLC 4000 that the photos are not as sharp. Color is better but our old Canon Fiery had a sharpness setting which sometimes was too much but there is no sharpness setting on the Xerox Fiery. 2nd level support confirmed that others have called about the same issue and they don't have an answer yet....

Has anyone figured a work around short of unsharp masking everything in Photoshop? Would the Creo or Freeflow rips be any better?

Thanks for your help

Are you sure it's the Fiery and not the difference in the halftones the print engines produce. As one have the misfortune of owning a CLC4000 I know they produce a Contone pattern using lines. I don't have a 700 but my 8000AP by default uses a 200 dot rotated pattern. This may or may not have an effect on the perceived sharpness of the print. Try changing the halftone pattern on the 700 and see if it helps.

Had tried all the different screen patterns and image quality settings 200 rotated looks best but still not as sharp. The old Canon CLC Fiery had a sharpness setting in job properties that the X700 Fiery does not. That's about the only thing I miss from CLC 4000

I was going to suggest changing the screening options, but seems you already did that. If you try a CREO or FREEFLOW server, you will get other screening results; probably one meets your needs.

Have you set image quality and text and graphics to best? (it's on my driver for the 8000AP)

To tell you the truth there is absolutely nothing I miss about my CLC's! I hope they were shredded into teeny tiny pieces!!!!!

Hi Joe,

Just to clarify, the particular sharpness adjustment setting on the Fiery you are referring to is exclusive to Canon.

Others are correct in that output sharpness is a function of the both the engine screening and the RIP data processing, but it appears you already tried this.

Good luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back