Xerox 700 for Photo Print

I have leased a new Xerox 700 for Photo Print. I am unable to print photos with good quality and repeatability for the last 7 month. Xerox replaced the machine already with a new one. The first one could not hold registration but the new one works better. Back to photo print, I attended a seminar by Xerox for couple of days and they showed a good growth in the photo book printing. They are recommending the iGen and the 700 for Photo books.

Any one can help with the best setting for a Bustled Fiery Rip configuration on the Xerox 700 Digital press?

I have leased a new Xerox 700 for Photo Print. I am unable to print photos with good quality and repeatability for the last 7 month. Xerox replaced the machine already with a new one. The first one could not hold registration but the new one works better. Back to photo print, I attended a seminar by Xerox for couple of days and they showed a good growth in the photo book printing. They are recommending the iGen and the 700 for Photo books.

Any one can help with the best setting for a Bustled Fiery Rip configuration on the Xerox 700 Digital press?

Even though it is a X! The principles of the Fiery are the same.

Begin in RGB, do not convert.
All this will be done in the advanced settings of your colour.
In the top line, the RGB path, select the latest RGB profile.
For rendering intent chose Photographic
Best to create and use a custom profile for the actual stock, then use the X-reccomended.

i am not saying this is the BEST, but rather this is the best STARTING point.

Try different RGB Profiles and also try different quality/image setting that may be available in the driver itself.
Try different combinations and WRITE THE SETTINGS ON THE BACK OF THE SHEET.
Lay ALL the sheets out on a table a review them side-by-side.
Chose the "best", flip it over and there are your settings.

this is a BASIC step by step and one that i reccomend for any of my customers who are looking to set the default settings of a digital device.

With defaults settings should be ok.

Make sure you have good calibration for each one of the stocks you are using. I hope you have an Spectrophotometer.

Hi edocpublish. I'm intrigued by Xerox selling the 700 for photo book printing (I know they are) as in my mind, I'd be worried about four things: colour gamut, colour accuracy, colour consistency and machine printing artefacts (especially in large areas of blue sky, in shadows etc.) . What kind of problems have you experienced and what feedback have your customers been giving you?

For what it's worth, I think that you will see a big improvement in the quality of your photo printing if you invest in whatever spectrophotometer (probably an eye 1) is compatible with the calibration tool on your embedded fiery. I think you also will need to upgrade your software (I'm not sure whether the bustled RIP supports this) to include media profiling and get some training on how to implement this.

Bear in mind that many customer's expectations are set by what they "usually" get and the majority of photobooks are printed on 6-colour Indigos (and a few iGens). Using a 700 is a bit like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Photo Book printing on Xerox 700

Photo Book printing on Xerox 700

Thank you guys for all of the feedback.

We do have a spectrophotometer (eye 1) and we use it to calibrate on the stock that we are using.
I will be testing the same files that we have been working with on a demo Xerox 700 with an External Fiery to see if it makes any difference with the same settings.

We do have media profiling in the software but we still get the same results.

The Issue is with colors, the colors look flat and dull (more like a regular color laser printer). I have tried most of the color profiles and I can see differences in the profiles but this is a guess work instead of a proven setting that some one has figured it out.

If any one is printing Photobooks on the Xerox 700 Successfully please share the setting with us.

P.S. printing the same files on an Epson 7900 produces studio quality prints. I understand that Epson is using 8 colors and it is inkjet but we wanted to test the files and make sure the source files are good.

We have asked xerox for the proper setting but no one at xerox seams to know what they are!!

Xerox offered to sell us a new 700 Digital Press with a new Xerox external RIP that they claim is a great machine for photo-books :). I said NO

I am not interested in paying another $100K for a new machine

Last edited:
I wouldn't try that type of work on a 700 without an External Fiery Rip. We have one and it works good.

The final answer I got form Xerox is this:

Open photoshop and adjust the colors for every photo
Do a white balance adjust on every photo
Update the files and make a new PDF
Print the book!

I am not sure I want to do this for every book or calander I want to print at $10 each

The final answer I got form Xerox is this:

Open photoshop and adjust the colors for every photo
Do a white balance adjust on every photo
Update the files and make a new PDF
Print the book!

I am not sure I want to do this for every book or calander I want to print at $10 each

Hmm... we were also looking at this market some months ago. We are also Xerox dealers by the way. I looked at the Ifolor study case Xerox offers. It is about the best thing you can do before starting. I haven't seen actual prints from Ifolor, but I saw a photo book from another provider. It doesn't matter what kind of machine you have, 80,90% of the work will look horrible. Main reasons:

1. You need really good photos. By really good not just good resolution, but also photoshoped by a photographer. That is why you are actually adjusting levels. Just try it with some wedding photos made by a professional photographer. It will be a lot better.

2. The material you are printing them on. This is highly critical. A slightly embossed ( I think this is the term in english for non-smooth paper ) material will give you far better results. On a smooth material you won't get very far.

But, all in all, it is actually the photos that are the weakest link. And of course the fact that for some reason or another most of the photos have a lot of black. At this moment, this is a big problem for all the printers, not just small but even the IGEN.

It all depends on your customers I guess. If they are enjoying the photo book and the memories, with decent photos supplied to you, they will be more than satisfied. Just try it with an embossed material.

They did a study in Finland where they compared different photobook providers products. Ifolor came first and i believe they did the prints with igen.

we work on gsm. I think the correct term is not embossed rather than textured material. i will look more closely into this. I think it's a textured material that resembles canvas in it's texture.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back