Xerox 800 smells like dog mess!

G

OK.... this is an interesting one. Our Xerox 800 downright stinks! It smells like the operator stepped in dog mess. (yes, we checked his shoes and he's clean). We talked to the Xerox tech who advised us to replace the ozone filter. We took the old filter out and it did indeed smell bad. We put a new filter in about 2 weeks ago and it seemed to stop the smell for a couple of days and now it's back and strong as ever. Any ideas how to stop this other than hanging air fresheners all over the shop?

where is it located? is it possible some sort of varmint crawled into the cabinet somewhere and met its demise? seriously.

Only had this machine for a little over a year and it's been happening since we got it. It's not a death smell. But anything that died would have been fully decomposed by now anyway LOL!!! It's definitely an odor that you can smell if you take a whif of the dark grey / black ozone filter on the back of the machine. But our machine really seems to stink up the place. It's noticeable to all who come within about 10 feet of the machine. Definitely a chemical type smell that has the aromatic flavor of dog mess.

where is it located? is it possible some sort of varmint crawled into the cabinet somewhere and met its demise? seriously.

Funny you should say that, we had a mouse who took up one of the heated paper drawers during a cold night on our x800.

We had a mouse caught in the press rollers and once in between transfer cylinders on SM102.

I was buying some cheap paper from Korea; Moorim Pro Digital for a short period during the recession. Boy o'boy did that stuff stink. I would call it more of a chemical smell like NCR then anything else.

we mostly use Accent 60# for manuals. I think it's International Paper.
Ours is mostly in the morning when we start up. I rarely notice it later in the day. I'm not around the machine all day so I would notice it.

It's certainly not the paper. We run almost exclusively tango cover from Mead/Westvaco. The smell is definitely emanating from the back side of machine (that's funny) and is always the worst right at startup. 2 Xerox techs now have pointed to the ozone filter and if you take a whiff of the ozone filter, you'll get a nose full of the bad smell. We replaced the filter and the smell came right back. One tech then told me that there is a double set filter to help with the smell but he didn't have the part number.

It's certainly not the paper. We run almost exclusively tango cover from Mead/Westvaco. The smell is definitely emanating from the back side of machine (that's funny) and is always the worst right at startup. 2 Xerox techs now have pointed to the ozone filter and if you take a whiff of the ozone filter, you'll get a nose full of the bad smell. We replaced the filter and the smell came right back. One tech then told me that there is a double set filter to help with the smell but he didn't have the part number.

Have you replaced any other filters that are part of XPP? You have ozone filters, suction filters, and dust filters.

Yeah... have replaced them all recently. Unfortunately didn't change anything. Thanks for the idea though.

Is it condensation inside the machine, we used to have a problem with our 6060 it was stagnant water in the machine, yuk!

Doesn't have that odor in my opinion, but that would be cool if it is and we could eliminate it.
Where would condensation build up? I can't find any moisture or evidence of past condensation.
Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back