Xerox DC 550/560 vs Konica 6000L

mauromm

are in difficulty in choosing between these two models. I would like to ask for your opinion, certainly more experienced.
6000L+LU202+FS612 = 31.500€ (for print € 0,065)
dc550+OHCF+standardFinisher = 21.500€ (for print € 0,075)

My intention is to print heavy paper.
I would like a manual duplex and precise.
Which one machine has a higher print quality?
And how they behave both with high thickness and two-sided?

6000L seems much more armored DC550 is made of plastic inside.
KM should have a lower temperature, right?

in general, what do you think is the best printer between the two?

thanks

Hi there.

I have yet to see the Konica Minolta Solution but so far the C560P is essentially the same technology as the 700 series so is inbetween a high volume office machine and low volume production machine.

You can get it with a bustled Fiery controller or the Xerox Freeflow controller. We prefer the latter because of publishing and special media inserting etc, but each controller has it's own merits.

The C550/560P can run 300gsm board (possibly a bit higher) and auto duplex up to 210gsm.
It is industy knowledge that the Xerox imaging technology (along with the Fujifilm optics) are superior to most of the xerographic imaging printers available. I am not here to push either brand but from the samples we have seen the quality of the screen under a loupe is quite noticable. Will the average Joe on the street notice, probably not.
So if color accuracy and quality are important to you and is a big selling point then the 560 will be a sound choice, pricey, but you get what you pay for.

We looked at the build of the 560 and the best analogy I can use is that just coz a Mazerati has a composite body (i.e not metal) doesnt mean it performs poorly. There will be reasons that the biomass plastic is used for the covers etc but in terms of the physical paper paths and imaging/fusing area it's all solid as a rock.

Fusing temperature was noticably cooler than the X260, so curling and shrinkage didn't appear to be an issue.

It would be interesting to hear what other users of both machines are experiencing. It would certainly be good to get opinions on both. We found that the image quality of the 560 was just nicer under a loupe. I think it's because the 560 uses a uniform halftone pattern as opposed to the KM using dots for objects and line screen for text and vectors.

We noticed that the prints from the KM used line screen for text and vector objects and hence any text or object that was on a background clashed at the edges and created aliasing type effects, basically dots and lines don't fit together too well and create "white" jaggies on the text and just didn't seem as crisp and sharp as it should have been. On a positive side, the "full metal jacket" of the KM was a visual niceity.

I guess it's pure personal choice. Color and quality is subjective and a personal interpretation.
I would suggest getting some files of your own that you know well and take them to both vendors and then blind sample the outputs to your friends, family etc until you get an objective view.

All the pundits will be pushing their case on their own brands and discrediting eachother. Both brands have good uses and benefits for the users and at the appropriate pricing, again you pay for what you get.

I hope I have been a bit helpful, again, I am just stating what we found on the 550/560 as our personal opinion.

thanks Stochastic for the long post. you've been a great help for choice.

why do you think the KM 6000L costs € 10,000 more than the 560?
this difference is justified by something?

maybe wait for other opinions from those who have tried both printers

thanks Stochastic for the long post. you've been a great help for choice.

why do you think the KM 6000L costs € 10,000 more than the 560?
this difference is justified by something?

maybe wait for other opinions from those who have tried both printers

Yeah I am not sure why.
There are methods in madness in all facets in this industry lol
It really depends on what your business is doing and because I don't know exactly what your mix of jobs are currently. it's infair of me to push either machine without a little more information.

I agree, lets wait and see what comes out of the woodwork. :)

I had to reply to this chain. I am a current Xerox 560 owner, with the small Fiery mounted to the back of the Machine. We previously had a Xerox 7665 which performed fine. Here are some highlights to this Xerox 560 machine

* First Xerox 560 they delivered was DOA
We had to wheel the 7665 back to replace the 560 after 3 hours of trying to get the 560 to work (this continued for 3 days with a Xerox analyst)

* Second Xerox 560 they delivered also was DOA
This time they had a Xerox Tech replace the attached Fiery, the mainboard on the copier itself, and do a firmware upgrade, then it worked, kinda

* had to configure LPR printing with windows print driver on all Windows 7 machines

* had to create specific print profiles to print to our 8.5x14 paper on all of our Macs

* went through 4 fuser over a 2 month period because it wasn't melting properly onto the paper, later had xerox techs adjust paper settigns to make it print hotter

* manual feed never worked until Xerox techs disabled the "auto rotate" feature

* Fiery would just not respond and would never accept jobs, I have to restart this manually every week

* Xerox issued me credits for 4 months because the machine never worked correctly, and it still kinda acts up

I would never recommend this Machine to anyone. I've managed Xerox machines for the past 8 years, and this is by far the worst machine I have ever experienced. If anyone is thinking about this machine I strongly would recommend against it. If anyone would like to reach out to me directly about it you can e-mail me at [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back