XEROX Versant 180 mixed media

InterfaceP

I have a Versant 180 that's running slow with mixed media, all other jobs will run at normal speed.

6 page book with 106-135 GSM for the guts out of tray 6
Cover is 257-300 GSM out of tray 7

Machine runs all the inside to the booklet maker then pauses for about 20 seconds before resuming the job. My guess is that its something in the settings that's causing this.

There are multiple machines at this location, and this is the only one that gives the issue.

Device configuration: OHCF>Interface>Two Sided Trimmer>Production Finisher>SquareFold Trimmer.

Things I have already done:
Loaded the most recent software I have (80.53.11)
Upgraded the integrated Fiery to v1.2 and installed an different one to test
Swapped the Finisher and SQFT

Thanks, in advance.

Yeh, our v80 does the same. I cheat sometimes and higher the set grammage on inside and lower for cover.

When you say "multiple machines" that don't do it, do you mean other V180s?

So this is absolutely expected behavior. @Ynot_UK is correct that the delay you're experiencing is the fuser adjusting temp down for the text weight and up for the cover weight. Xerox will be adamant in telling you this is NOT a bug.

There are two ways to get around this delay. The first, and easiest, is to lie to the machine. Program your cover stock as text stock of a different color. This usually works fine with minimal jams or fusing issues, in my experience. However, for important jobs this is risky because your toner might not fuse properly or you may experience more jams than normal.

The second way, which Xerox reccomends, is to print all your cover media first, separately. Then, load the cover media into another tray, preferably a bypass tray, and program it as an insert page while printing all of your text weight stock.

So this is absolutely expected behavior. @Ynot_UK is correct that the delay you're experiencing is the fuser adjusting temp down for the text weight and up for the cover weight. Xerox will be adamant in telling you this is NOT a bug.

There are two ways to get around this delay. The first, and easiest, is to lie to the machine. Program your cover stock as text stock of a different color. This usually works fine with minimal jams or fusing issues, in my experience. However, for important jobs this is risky because your toner might not fuse properly or you may experience more jams than normal.

The second way, which Xerox reccomends, is to print all your cover media first, separately. Then, load the cover media into another tray, preferably a bypass tray, and program it as an insert page while printing all of your text weight stock.
"The second way" is how we run on both the 1000i's and the VR280's. Much easier and faster.

I used to have this problem with a 700i, but not so much with the Versant 180. Try setting the cover stock setting to the next lightest setting. A tech told me to do that when ours refused to run a certain stock. He said it won't hurt anything.

I've experienced this on my Xerox 3100 The tech said to log In, admin, tools, tools, system setting, common service, maintenance, scroll to productivity mode and chose the faster printing mode instead of quality mode.
It works when I'm running mixed substrates.
I will be interested in trying this, will report back the next time we have a mixed media job.

I've always been cautious of this fix, perhaps because we print lots of full bleed covers with heavy solids. I would be nervous of toner flaking off the covers with use, rather than whilst on the bench.

As our finishing is offline and we like to crease 250/300GSM covers before putting them through the booklet maker, we run the covers separately then drop them onto the output of the 135GSM guts. We don't do enough to warrant a post inserter on the colour press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back