Xerox woes!

RPC

We've been printing digitally with Xerox for the last 4 years and have been having inboard/outboard color variations all along. Started with a 260, graduated to a 5252, then had to upgrade because of quality issues to a 7000. Had problems with that and they replaced it with an 8000. That did the same thing so I was given an 8000AP. Guess What? Same Problems?

So here I am with 3 years to go on an expensive lease and all that Xerox says is it's printing "within spec" and nothing else can be done. The service manager promised me that if the 3rd replacement didn't work he'd cancel my lease. Seems he forgot he mentioned that and the corporation said that oral agreements are enforceable. Customers are rejecting my work because of this color variation and I'm dying a slow death.

Had my attorney get involved without success. Contacted the CEO of Xerox and all senior local staff. NOTHING!

Anybody ever just walk away from a lease with Xerox. Is it possible? I'm out of options.

Last edited:
Whenever we have inboard/outboard issues the tech fixes them with his laptop and our ES1000. His new software has sliders that adjust (I am assuming voltage) of each color until we get a good match, usually within .5 to 1dE inboard vs outboard on each color. I can't think of the name for the adjustment, but I can ask my tech if you would like.

The only lease option I can think of is to have a competitive buy-out, that's what I had to do with Canon... cost me $75,000.00 though.

Last edited:
Xerox woes

Xerox woes

Either your tech that works on your Xerox equipment is horrible or you have some weird environmental issues.
If you have the time give me a call, I might be able to help. 714-292-6912

People above who seem not to have heard about this issue need to search "xerox" on the forum, it will pretty much affect every machine due to the inherent design, however as Craig says a tech can get it looking much better. It's normally more prevalent on Red (100% Magenta, 100% Yellow).

The settings the techs adjust are called smile settings.

See if they will allow you to go down to the docucolor 5000ap. I have two and they have no inboard/outboard color variation that I can see. The x700 is a piece of crap (mine got sale reverse last week and picked up today!)

I am installing a 1000 next week to replace the X700 and will keep you posted.

If you personally guaranteed the lease you are totally screwed. (I am speaking from experience on this one...)

Thanks for the thoughts. I was considering a 700. How do you get the sale reversed. I can't get anybody to budge.

Every Xerox i printed on the last years (2045 / 6060 / 245 / 252 / 700) had inboard-outboard problems. The tech can adjust it (takes time!) but it will be back again within short time.

Since march we have a KM bizhub pro6501e and there are no inboard-outboard variations anymore :)

Thanks for the thoughts. I was considering a 700. How do you get the sale reversed. I can't get anybody to budge.

We had a reversal on a Nuvera when it first launched because their tech lived in our shop 24/5 and it still would not work. Start calling their HQ every day until someone gets motivated. You want to get to someone close to the pres - we happened to get Anne Mulcahy's PR person on the phone one morning, chewed her ear for a bit, and next thing you know - our local folks were jumping like they were in a fire pit. (Humorous at the time, but sad it takes that to get someone's attention.) If you think the machine is non-performing, you have ways to get out of the contract. Document your spoilage, lost sales, customer complaints, etc. But if it just comes down to you not liking the machine, you are probably stuck with it.

The inboard/outboard color is on every machine we have tried of theirs, including the 5000 we almost bought. Makes it hard to sell 4 up jumbo cards when you cut the 12x18 and have 4 different reds....

Smile Settings

Smile Settings

Your tech can adjust the "smile settings" and you will get a good print but guess what this will not last long, after a few k prints the problem returns.
I wonder if this issue is resolved on the 1000?
Ronen

Xerox colour problems

Xerox colour problems

Hi guys, unless you have an engineer there to re adjust the voltages in the smile curve to get edge to edge colour AND and air condition humidity controled room AND use stock from the same batch you will never get constant colour with any xerographic based machines. Xerox have released a new kind of statement this year that says they will not guarantee stability below the first 400 sheets! which kind of defeats the low run digital model. We have had all manner of Xerox, Konica & Oce kit and they all suffer in one way or another. I have a couple of friends that have IGEN' s which are better but not cured. We even have one of the old OCE cps900 machines which doesnt use developer it just crushes toner into the sheet, the contract guarantees no colour varience....wrong again!
The problem is the sales reps once you sign a lease there is no way out. Again I know and have a charge on my house to proove it.

Actually, I'm very very disgusted. So disgusted, that I'm considering telling them to come and get the machine and refuse to pay for the rest of the lease. I've tried to work with local senior management, but they've been combative and unresponsive. I can't understand how printing "within spec" absolves them from the fact that I'm still producing prints that my customers reject.
I'm sure that I'll end up in court but maybe then I can present my problems to someone who will actually listen and weigh the facts.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back