Xitron vs. Rampage

Lutzie32

My company is in the midst of upgrading our workflow and I wanted to see a couple opinions from different users. We are currently using Rampage 9.4 and got a price quote on an upgrade to version 12 with everything being new. We also got a quote from Xitron for the Serria workflow. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions because we are in a limbo. Here are a couple questions of mine.

1. Is there a big difference between an Adobe based workflow vs. the Harlequin base workflow.
2. One is significantly more expensive then the other, should there be that big of a difference.
3. With Serria it comes with an integrated imposition program rampage does not. How does Serria compare to Preps imposition wise.

Some information about my company if needed.
Screen PTR-4000 (4-up)
Epson Pro 7800 (proofing)
HP DesignJet 1500C (proofing)
(2)six color Mitsubishi half size presses
(1) Heidelberg Printmaster 12x18
Just two of us in the prepress department

There are just some concerns that I have. If anyone has any other input I would appreciate all information I can get for my company.

Some things to ponder:
Support - Rampage support is awesome, as Xitron as I have found them fair in the past.
Speed - While Rampage requires you to use its hardware, it is fast and dependable. Xitron hardware was again of a lower quality and cost.
Use of Legacy files - do you pull old files or are they all new.
Trapping - way better in Rampage, as is color mapping and color management.

As you have had and used Rampage, stick with it, you will be happy in the long run. I understand it is 30% more but speed and good hardware maore than make up for that in the next few years.
IMO.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back