XMF Page Correction Questions

rmac2125

I would like to know how XMF users handle PDF page corrections.
If you have a 32 page book and 16 pages have corrections what are the prepress workflow rules of bringing in those new pages. It seems pretty easy in the demo, but I would like to here from other users about this before purchasing XMF. Do you bring in 16 new pages or is it too confusing in the XMF software? What would happen if there are 50 or 100 pages in XMF?? Do you delete the entire 32 page and start from scratch? How easy is it to replace all pages with a new PDF if the pagination and impositions are already set-up properly? Also, do XMF users create postscript files first then use distiller to create a PDF and then import into XMF??

Thanks in advance,

Rob T

There are two ways to perform page replacements.

The first method is using the standard Job Edit mode and simply dragging any page thumbnails from a new source document into the Read Order column. The new PDF file does not have to have the same number of pages as the original source document. This is shown in Screenshot 01 attached. Sometimes a PDF is created ONLY with the pages that changed and then they are dragged into the appropriate positions in the Read Order. Also note that after dragging the pages into to the Read Order, the imposition is automatically updated as shown in the screenshot.

The Second method is to use Page Mapping. This method is more effective when you have many pages to replace in longer documents. A range of pages can be selected and then a starting map position can be chosen in the Read Order. As shown in Screenshot 02, you first click the Page Mapping icon at the top left. This takes you into a list mode. From here the range of pages is chosen and the starting point (in my case page 7) in the Read Order column is selected. Then click the Page Map execution button at the bottom. Note that the name of the Mapped Source in the Read Order changes to the revised PDF. This is also a nice way to see which pages from which Source PDFs are in the Read Order. Again, the assignment of these pages to Impositions, proofing or other Workflow Items is automatically updated. As such it is not necessary to flow in a new source PDF with the exact number of pages as the original when it is only necessary to change some pages. The original PDF does NOT have to be deleted nor does the operator have to start over from scratch, and this works for documents of 32 or 100, 250 pages, no matter.

I did create a movie showing this functionality. It is a little dated and some minor new features have been added since making this movie, but if you would like it, let me know where you have a ftp set up and I can upload it to you.

Regards
WJ

The page replacement method described by WJ is exactly what we do. Keep in mind that replacing only the pages with changes is very important. Overwriting approved pages with ones that are assumed to be the same can be a dangerous gamble.
I didn't see where anyone answered about creating PDFs. We definitely do not create PostScript. PostScript flattens the files and that's unnecessary with the APPE RIP, which handles transparencies very well and doesn't require fat PostScript. We create PDF X4s if we have native files to start with, and encourage those directly from our customers.
Last, we also have XMF Remote. With that, and PDFs from customers, you can setup jobs so that customers can do their own page replacement, or upload jobs in page position as they get them done, which would be nice for catalogs.

its very easy, just load the changed pages into xmf and remap over the old ones, xmf is one of the best rips for this scenario.

We have XMF, the PDF page repalcement is good but awkward to use, I usually replace the pages in Acrobat and then drop the new PDF into to XMF, re-rendering is so fast and easy. Thats the way I work. Export PDFs out of Indesign Quark etc no need to distill.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back