XMPie on line tutorials?

txcynna

I recently got hired on and basically dropped into place with no training at all since the previous person just up and left. Naturally, he was the one that took care of all this stuff and did not teach anyone else the ropes so when he left the knowledge left.

We use XMPie to add serial numbers to coupons. Is there an online source that I can go to to learn how to do this using this program? Please bear in mind that I have NEVER done any VDP work at all. It's all foreign to me and the user manual is, well... problematic.

The main problem I have is that the coupons print 12 to a sheet and they want them to number top to bottom then left to right, so that they can cut and stack them and they will be in sequence. (ie. top sheet from left to right are numbered 001, 251, 501.. etc. second sheet = 2, 252, 502... etc)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

To help get you started, you will want your InDesign document to be the size of your coupon. Set up the numbering spots with an INDEX ador which is created by using the counter function.

Then when you use the dynamic print function, set your sheet size to the size of your sheet you'll be printing on and select Auto calculate. It will probably tell you you are going to get 12 up.

Print to a PDF to start off, and check out how the cut and stack falls in order, giving you coupons 1-however many in the "A" position, and then it moves over to the "B" position and continues the numbering down through the document.

This is just meant to give you an over view of the XMPie functions you referenced. I'll be happy to help you work out the kinks if you encounter a specifically problem.

Cheers
Jason

Thanks so much. I will give this a shot and see what happens.

I am still interested in any on line tutorials.. do they even exist? I have found nothing in my searches. So glad I found this place though! :)

Silly me I forgot to address your title. I have never found any online tutorials. I wonder if a market exists for them?

One thing that has been helpful to me is the ability to log support cases with XMPIE. Go to their website and see if you can log in as a customer. If you can't, just call their hotline and get the account transfered to your name. They respond pretty quickly to the technical inquiries, but the sales inquiries are very slow.

There is another XMPie forum that might be helpful - just search for XMPIE in google groups and you'll find it quickly.

There is also a paid XMPIE user forum which is probably really useful, done by XMPie, but we haven't bought the subscription for it yet.

I have never found any online tutorials. I wonder if a market exists for them?

I got curious, too, so searched Google and YouTube this morning. All I found were some Print 09 promo videos at YouTube - Quick Demo, XMPie Innovation Showcase.

Does a market exist for online tutorials? Certainly looks that way, Jason, if the initial response to our recent e-newsletter is any indication. You're probably familiar with "RTFM" (Read The Fine Manual), a not so subtle request by the techies that dates back to the computer stone age. That hasn't changed - users still reach for the manual only as a last resort. More often than not, AFTER they've called tech support.

On the other hand, they don't seem to mind watching a quick video. Our screencast link received by far the most hits. If by "market" you mean would anybody pay for them? Good question, but I wouldn't count on it.

Hal

Attachments

• OnLineTutorials.jpg
    OnLineTutorials.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I always tend to look for a visual tutorial first then I start hitting forums (because who better to answer a question than people using the product, right?). It seems like it takes 10 times longer if I have to learn something through reading a manual, which usually involves multiple readings and me throwing said manual across the room at least once. If I can see it done I usually only need to see it once or twice and I have it.

If you have the original discs that the software came on there should be tutorials on the disc that will help you learn the software. They are step by step examples that should answer all your questions about setting up your databases and files. XMPie also offers web training that has been very helpful. I believe it cost us around $500 for a 3 hour session. You can even discuss what you want covered in the training prior to doing it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back