XMPIE Plugin - InDesign CS4 Issue

MIBUK

Hi....I posted this in the Adobeforum, but was recommended to post here instead. Hopefully, you can help.

I'm using the uDirect plugin trial version with InDesign CS4 for evaluation. At the moment, I'm trying to use uDirect for variable content in a business card. I have a text frame, which contains department, address, telephone, email etc details. I have created rules, so for example, if the fax number does not exist in the test database, then it moves the lines below up on the business card. I used Suppress Trailing Spaces on Empty Content to do this. Sometimes, the department name is very long and therefore needs the font in the text frame to be reduced automatically. I used Dynamic Story Length Handling via Dynamic Story Properties and enabled Copy Fit on for Overflow and selected the middle option and set the min: to 25% at steps of 1% and click OK

This works very well, until for example the fax number does not exist and the department name is too long and Copy Fit is used. Then The Dynamic Story Length Handling stops working and the department name that is too long pushes part of the text to the next line! ie. "faculty of Sciences of Veterniary Blah Blah Sheep" looks like:-
"faculty of Sciences of Veterniary-
Blah Blah Sheep"

...instead of scaling down.
Thanks in Advance,

Make sure you have 'no break' selected for the text box. It's been my experience that text will wrap until it starts to overrun its container, at which point the copyfitting will kick in.

Youston, thank you very much. You hit the nail on the head. If I could, I would buy you a beer!

I could use this. Where exactly is "No Break"?

It's in the pull-down menu to the right of the 'quick apply' button (little lightning bolt) in the top right-hand corner of the InDesign window (right above the pallette dock).

The 'no break' option is the fifth option from the top. You have to have the specific line(s) of text highlighted to make it work.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back