Your take on the state of color management (M0, M1, M2, M3, D50 and OBA)

chevalier

Exciting news in the color management world lately... New Curve3, new X-rite devices, new(ish) ISO standards! Speaking amongst a few industry contacts it seems that ISO 13655:2009 and ISO 3664:2009 are getting a less than enthusiastic response in field practice.

ISO 13655:2009 (M0, M1, M2, M3 colormetric calculation standards) built upon ISO 3664:2009 (new D50 standards) are upon us. Your thoughts?

I hope that software reporting and quality documentation demands keep pace with this. I can already foresee the nightmares of the various dE formulas replicating themselves through "M-modes" and "which D50" you are adhering to. I've recently experienced some wild things OBA related myself.

Resources (took some searching to dig this up):

ISO 13655:2009
http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/en/L7-510_M_Factor_en.pdf
The New ISO Color Measurement Standards - How They Affect Your Business on Vimeo
ISO13655 demystified - KONICA MINOLTA | Europe

ISO 3664:2009
‘New’ graphic arts D50 lighting and viewing conditions | The Missing Horse Consultancy
The Color Management Blog: ISO 3664, a tale of two light bulbs

Last edited:
Are you surprised that arrogantly referring to your readers as being "Google challenged" does not win you any friends?

Al Ferrari

I see how that might be interpreted differently than intended. I was trying to say that it took a bit of searching to nail down multiple sources providing information/viewpoints.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back