Your thoughts on the new iMac 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 - PrePress Work?

i7

i7

If it were me, I would chose the iMac over the towers any day. I work at a design firm that has 20 iMacs and we've never had an issue with them. The Mac Pros are way too overpriced for what you get. Yes, I know you can expand them, but really all you can do is switch out a video card or add some internal hard drives. Unless you're doing 3D or Video editing and have to have the latest video card, then the iMacs are more than capable machines. The only issue I've noticed with the newer LED screens is that if you're not looking straight at them, the color tends to change. It's fine when you're at your desk, but if you walk over to someone else's desk and try to look at something on screen while standing, it won't look quite right to you.
As for the processor..the Core i7 is a much newer chip than the Core 2, and even though they have a lower clock speed will run circles around the higher clocked Core 2. If you do a lot of Photoshop, it's written to use those multiple cores, so you will benefit from it.

The i7 imac is more than enough for prepress or design. The Pro is way overkill and to much of a machine anyways, you probably don't need all the expansion and it costs a lot more.

As far as the glossy screen, just buy another monitor and run dual monitors, its probably cheaper than paying someone to change out the glass (or maybe not) i don't know what it costs.

As far as i can tell the i7 iMac runs circles around the current high end Pro machine in a lot of benchmarks (not all) so i am sure you will be happy with it and the price.

FYI - APPLE IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE 27" SCREEN SO BE CAREFUL, GO TO Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About TO READ ABOUT THE 27" SCREEN ISSUES.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back