Zapf not embedding

kaiserwilhelm

I am attempting to upload a file with this. The font used for the box is Zapf Dingbats. I have tried EVERY variant of zapf that I can find. (True type, PS, even an open type that is not truly Zapf)

I utilize another piece of software that allows me to use this font.
So, I export out of Indd CS 5.5
I then do an acrobat - file - properties. It shows embedded.
however, just for fun, I select the box with Pitstop and attempt to change the box from a "Q" to another letter. Instant blank space.
I then bring it into my other software with the same result.
Is there something about Zapf that I am not catching?

Attachments

• Test.pdf
    170.3 KB · Views: 221
My guess is that the font is not fully embedded, but subsetted, and that the attempted substitute character is not embedded.

Al

Correct.

I looked at the file (with a HEX editor) and the only /Font objects (I found two) are subsets. Try your export again (checking the appropriate boxes).

I will gladly upload the file with my export settings if I can upload a zip? I changed from subset at 100 to subset at 0. Both give this. I am almost positive this is a Zapf issue only. I can put in 10 other fonts and they are all fine.

You have not explained what is the purpose of engaging us in any of this. In your first post you state:

"however, just for fun, I select the box with Pitstop and attempt to change the box from a "Q" to another letter. Instant blank space."

Zipped files upload just fine. But why do you want us to look at another file, "just for fun"?

Al

Al, I am using Pitstop to save me time prior to going into another software. I believe that if I cannot get it to show up in its entirety in Acrobat with Pitstop, then why bother with the other software?
I guess Just For Fun was not the proper term.

In other words, you are preflighting your pdf with Pitstop. But why do you need to change the Zap Q character there?

Have you considered that you may be using Pitstop improperly?
Are you positive that only one version of the font is active in your system at the time?
Have you posed this issue in a Pitstop forum, or contacted their technical support? Might there be a Pitstop preference not set correctly?

Al

No, Al. I am only using Pitstop to "see" what I have. I really am believing that this has something to do with Zapf. I cannot replicate this on any other font. That is why I put this in the Adobe forum. I figured it was an Adobe font.
I have one version of zapf on. I use Universal Type Server and my system fonts do not include a zapf.
If I look at properties of the pdf, it shows that zapf is embedded. In my opinion, it is not. If it were embedded, it would allow me to change from one letter (Q) to another (H).

Repeating my #3: "Have you posed this issue in a Pitstop forum, or contacted their technical support? Might there be a Pitstop preference not set correctly?"

Also, does this other unnamed software recommend Pitstop as a criterion for checking pdf files before they are submitted to it?
Have you contacted tech support for this other unnamed software?

Al

Are there other Pitstop users on PrintPlanet also having problems editing pdf text in any Zap Dingbats version?

Al

I searched the web once I found that term, "embedding bits". Here is an answer from an adobe person on Print Planet in the past.
Sums it up nicely

I'll give a laymen's answer first. Simply stated, you are being impacted by font license terms and the algorithms that Adobe uses to respect
the rights expressed in the fonts or licensing
* Many fonts, such as the orignal base postscript fonts allow embedding only as a subset for file transfer and printing, but not for full embedding and editting.
* Use of a font in an edittable form field requires that the full font be embedded and allows use in editting.
* Therefore, these fonts are not usable in form fields. They CAN be used in the form itself.
Zapf Dingbats is NOT an Adobe trademarked font; therefore, it cannot be embedded and edittable.
The detailed document can be found at http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/FontPol icies.pdf
around pages 13 and 14. You may find this a bit difficult to understand, but, simply stated, Myriad and Minion, among others meet the requirements to allow use in edittable form fields.
There may be simpler answers out there, but it all nets to this.

I will gladly upload the file with my export settings if I can upload a zip? I changed from subset at 100 to subset at 0. Both give this. I am almost positive this is a Zapf issue only. I can put in 10 other fonts and they are all fine.
Try subsetting with 99%. That has worked for me often in the past.

Interesting. Thanks for finding an answer. I've had similar issues in the past where it seemed like an embedding issue even though a font was in fact embedded. Nice to finally know why.

Interesting. Thanks for finding an answer. I've had similar issues in the past where it seemed like an embedding issue even though a font was in fact embedded. Nice to finally know why.

It was painful. Finally, I actually READ the little ! mark by the Export Fonts section in Indd. Once I saw the wording, I simply googled it.
I am now working on using Pitstop to embed fonts that are not embedded. That will not fix my Zapf issue (as it will never embed), but it will fix Time, etc where a customer other than myself made a PDF without embedding anything!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back