Zund cutter file setup

txcynna

We are getting a new cutter. Yay? I'm trying to set up some test files for the Zund g3 with little to no information other than what I've been able to gleen off of the internet and what I've been told by the powers that be. They want to have something to test with when it is installed and the people they sent up north for training are not back yet.

I'm told that we can save PDF files with the zund-named spot color cutpath on the bottom layer of art file. Our normal procedure is to use PDFx format, BUT when I do that with my sample file the stroke line turns into a shape filled with that color. If I save this as a high quality PDF (not PDFx) the stroke remains a stroke.
I have also tried PDFx after putting plain rectangles (1pt stroke, no fill) on the same layer using the spot colors and they STAY strokes while the 1 pt dieline again becomes a shape. I am so confused.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hello,

I have no Zund bur I have tried to repeat your problem but I always get a box with stroke.

I have a few questions.

- What software are you using to save the file as PDFx? (Illustrator, Distiller, InDesign, Acrobat)

- When you say PDFx, do you mean PDF/X-1, PDF/X-3 or PDF/X-4 etc? There are different types.

- When you save the file as PDFx, is this part of another proceedure? Is there an Action, Automator Workflow, a Droplet?

- Is the "Save as PDFx" setting one that was supplied with the software or one your team have developed?

Cheers

Tim

Sorry. Yes to PDF X-1. Saving straight out of Illustrator CC2015 using the Illustrator preset for PDF/X-1.
I used illustrator to create the die line with a 1 point stroke.
I can only assume that it has something to do with layers because if I set the dieline to the top layer it remains a stroke. But that doesn't explain why the rectangle that I put on the bottom layer with the dieline also remains a strok... unless it's because part of the rectangle was not completely under the other art...which would definitely be an issue with a real job file that needs a die cut.
I'm going to see if I can recreate the problem with a completely different file when I get to work tomorrow. Also will try saving one with a bit of the dieline poking out from under the art. It's very perplexing...(obviously since I am answering questions from home when I could be binge watching netflix. LOL)

Does it view this way in Acrobat, or in the CAD software or the front end software driving the table? What software are you using to drive the table?

Can you attach a copy of the native .AI file and the .PDF file so that interested parties can have a look?

Stephen Marsh

I see this is a post from this summer, hopefully you have rectified the issue by now? I have an older Zünd, here are a couple things to try. I save my PDF file out of Illustrator as "smallest file size" and check "Create Acrobat Layers From Top-Level Layers". Eliminate any image layers and only have a cut layer and a Regmark layer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back