CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xerox J75 to Xerox Versant 180P Transition

Hello all,

We are being approached by Xerox to upgrade our J75 ahead of our lease agreement's end to a Versant 180P. Does anyone have experience with this machine or feel there are inherent drawbacks? I foresee major upgrades from EFI with the next release cycle, so I am very hesitant to be tied to another machine for 5 years if things will change soon for the RIP. Also waiting on "supported" 350gsm duplex. Your thoughts?

Edit: Also, they said all Windows 8.1 RIPs will be upgraded to Windows 10 soon...has anyone else heard this?

I ran one at the demo room before they closed it. I didn't see any drawbacks against our J75s, though it also didn't seem like a massive upgrade. It did do really heavy stock like a champ, but outside of that unless it was a real attractive deal not sure how eager I would be to change.

Comment

V180 would also be the belt fuser over the roller so envelopes should be no problem.

Comment

V180 is rated to handle 350gsm auto duplex.

Comment

This past January, I upgraded from a C75 with bustled Fiery to the V180P and I couldn't be happier. Granted, the C75 wasn't as robust as the J75 so it was a bigger difference for me than it will be for you. As pippip said, envelopes run beautifully, no wrinkling even when using cheap envelopes. It does adhesive synthetics, felt, linen, and laid stocks better. Oh, and I was able to print a job for someone that was 7.5" x 24".

I think they saved the 350gsm auto-duplexing for the 3100. The V180P will auto-duplex 350gsm but you may have toner adhesion problems depending upon the stock. What few jobs I have printed at 350gsm have not been a problem manually duplexing because the machine does a great job at putting the image square and centered on the sheet. I don't have to tweak the position when running the backside. I know you already have an external RIP but man, I don't know how I got by all these years without one!

Feel free to PM me with more questions.

Comment

You will notice the prints look different. The Versant has a more matted look compared to the J75 which uses oil based toners I believe. The J75 had a glossier print, I prefer the matte look of the Versant myself. We have a 2100 which is similar to the 180, just bigger and a few extra bells and whistles. Been a rock solid machine, consistent colours and great registration.

Comment

Also, the gradients are better. Less stepping.

Comment

Never had any experience with the J75 but one huge difference we had from the DC242 to V80 is screens.
                Anything below 7-8% never showed on DC242 with the V80 you literally can see 1-2% screens. And all the way up through the scale you can see even the most smallest difference in %.

Comment

Any negatives I need to be aware of? I appreciate your responses, guys.

Comment

I have two main issues with our V80. One is a reoccurring fault with the secondary BTR failing to clean and leaving scuff marks. Sometimes I'll get 150k between changes other times 10k. Xerox acknowledge its a problem and have tried numerous "fixes" and they admit they are baffled. I've been told this carries over to the 180. The roller has been changed to a solid roller rather than soft, like previous. What puzzles them even more the exact same setup is in the 2100/3100 and they tell me it doesn't suffer from it and they don't know why. They are generally out within hours to change it. It generally raises its head whenever I start any longer runs especially on silk/gloss.

The other is banding. I do get lines appearing across the sheet which they claim are normal. if primary colour is black i get it about 30mm from tail edge, if magenta I get a line about 60mm from lead edge with black and yellow in the middle. Visually there on some jobs. They fitted a flywheel to try and prevent it but I still get it and it does bug me.

Maybe others can confirm if they get similar or whether I should be pushing Xerox a bit more.

Comment

Our 2100 does not have any of those problems. Recurring faults with scuff marks, as well as lines across the page are definitely NOT "normal". You should push them to the limit to fix these problems.

Luckily, you are doing business with Xerox. If the machine does not perform in accordance with your CED (Customer Expectation Document), or, there are mechanical issues that result in sub quality prints, that they do not know how to fix, it needs to be escalated up the ladder to the next level of technicians with better expertise.

If they still can not correct the problems, they are under obligation via their maintenance service contract, to pull the machine altogether and replace it with a new one.

This situation has happened to us a few times in the past, with a Xerox DocuColor 8000AP, one of our original V2100's, and a Fiery Hyper RIP. They pulled and replaced them all because they could not figure out how to fix the problem, and, the issue never presented itself again. That guarantee is one of the main reasons that we will ONLY do business with Xerox.

Comment

The only thing I feel like you give up is the ability to run glossy toner. We have used the glossy mode setting on our c75 more than once to avoid having to use aqueous coating on a job.

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                          Any negatives I need to be aware of? I appreciate your responses, guys.
                          Nothing but positives for us when we switched from a J75 to a 2100. We did have a real dud of a J75 and was a year long torture using that machine. Versant has great consistent colour in my experience. Running a booklet right now, first printed it Feb 2017 and looks just about the same today colour wise as it did then. To me that is a miracle when our J75 could shift colour within the hour.

Comment

Replied to the wrong post - Moved to correct post "Chipping........"
                            Last edited by MailGuru; 04-30-2018, 02:56 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Comment

Originally posted by wonderings View Post

Nothing but positives for us when we switched from a J75 to a 2100. We did have a real dud of a J75 and was a year long torture using that machine. Versant has great consistent colour in my experience. Running a booklet right now, first printed it Feb 2017 and looks just about the same today colour wise as it did then. To me that is a miracle when our J75 could shift colour within the hour.
                              Actually we do a lot of reprints and I can grab things from 3 years ago with the J75 and they look exactly the same or at least visually very close. Good to know that Xerox kept it up for the V180!

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimate
                              CanonDuploStandard Finishing

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4775 users online. 95 members and 4680 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X