Xerox Versant 180 Stapled Sets Misfeeds/Out of Order

ReproElectroProspero

Greetings,

We are having a troubling issue with our Versant's multifunction finishing stapler, stumping even our local Xerox techs for the time being.

What's happening is when we run a large job of staple sets, say a 50 page document that is stapled in the top left corner, it will generally run fine on proofing/initial release. However, after walking away, without any jams, the finisher/versant seems to get confused. It starts spitting out the first or second page of the set (on its own, unstapled), outside of the stapled set. So when we walk back to look at the finished job, we have a huge portion of them missing the first or second page, with the missing page sitting atop the stapled set it was supposed to be in. It's like the timing is off and it's missing the staple action. Our Xerox techs have no idea what is going on, they are going to try upgrading our software to a SPAR version soon. I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar and found a fix. We've tried rebooting, reseating stapling cartidges, testing different jobs, different simplex/duplex options, no avail.

Thanks for any ideas for troubleshooting!

does it do it in copy mode also?
Yep.

Been testing a bunch of things since I made this post. I think something in the stacker/staple finishing module is broken and the techs we have don't want to have to take it apart and figure it out.

I created a 5 page document and tested via copy mode and via standard network print mode. Happens both ways, but less in copy mode. Despite no unusual settings in network print mode, copy mode paper (out of the same tray) seems substantially more curled. So I think that may be why it does it less. Curious if you have any insight as to why copy mode would have different paper curl on the same stock, simplex settings, and tray.

Anyhow, we started observing the stacker/staple finishing module as it output our sheets. Occasionally, the long black fingers that pop out to hold a stapled set would come out slightly late, as would the first or second sheet of the print, so instead of stacking neatly, it would be ejected on to the stacker tray. My coworker took a video, I'll see if I can't upload soon to illustrate the problem more clearly.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is a mechanical issue with the finishing module, and demand that Xerox investigate that more closely. Once I get a solid answer, I will be sure to post it here for future searches.

if anything was broken then it wouldnt work at all
maybe try 2 sheets only to be sure that the stapler is fine

Yep.

Been testing a bunch of things since I made this post. I think something in the stacker/staple finishing module is broken and the techs we have don't want to have to take it apart and figure it out.

I created a 5 page document and tested via copy mode and via standard network print mode. Happens both ways, but less in copy mode. Despite no unusual settings in network print mode, copy mode paper (out of the same tray) seems substantially more curled. So I think that may be why it does it less. Curious if you have any insight as to why copy mode would have different paper curl on the same stock, simplex settings, and tray.

Anyhow, we started observing the stacker/staple finishing module as it output our sheets. Occasionally, the long black fingers that pop out to hold a stapled set would come out slightly late, as would the first or second sheet of the print, so instead of stacking neatly, it would be ejected on to the stacker tray. My coworker took a video, I'll see if I can't upload soon to illustrate the problem more clearly.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is a mechanical issue with the finishing module, and demand that Xerox investigate that more closely. Once I get a solid answer, I will be sure to post it here for future searches.
Perhaps there are some issues with the electricity supply solely to the finisher? Or a bad board?

I have not seen you mention humidity levels. To high or to low can cause these kind of issues especially if it is random.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back