New Shop - Need Help

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyday I see printers dumping their equipment and just doing design and brokering through a variety of sources. There are plenty of printers out there that don't want to work directly with clients. They would rather have designers and smaller printers be their sales force.

Comment

I would contact your local digital print players. Xerox, Canon, Ricoh. Tell them what you are wanting to do and let them all try and sell you. Something I would recommend is getting a digital unit with a service contract. You will have problems and having a service contract gives you the support you need to get back up and running again. Service will differ depending on your region. Xerox has been fantastic for us in ours. We are a print shop in business since '61, before we got into digital we contacted Xerox and started looking at what would best suit our needs to start, something we could start with without breaking the bank. At the time they recommend a used Doc12. It was an OK machine to start and learn on, we then progressively moved up as we used digital more and more. Currently we have a Versant 2100 which is an amazing machine. When we first demoed the Doc12 they let us run live jobs on it and when we first got it we had a massive rush job that we could just not finish in time with one unit. Xerox let us go to their local office and use a few of their printers free of charge (we supplied the paper). Turned out it was around 140,000 clicks just that one job. Not saying all will do this, but it really cemented a relationship with Xerox that has kept us going back to them as they back us when we are down, which is very rare now with the 2100.

Long story short, contact the big guys, tell them what you want and let them sell to you. There is a lot of competition out there, hungry for your business.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbatch View Post
        Everyday I see printers dumping their equipment and just doing design and brokering through a variety of sources. There are plenty of printers out there that don't want to work directly with clients. They would rather have designers and smaller printers be their sales force.
        Im very much one of those guys. Send me the print ready file (oxymoron, am i right?) and let me print it for you. Eliminates a couple of processes that cause some huge headaches if you ask me, i.e. sales and graphic design.

Comment

Unconfigured Static HTML Module

Collapse

Static HTML Module Content
        4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimateTharstern
        4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonKBAKBA4 PeesSmartsoft (Presswise)TharsternUltimate

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4400 users online. 110 members and 4290 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
        X