Standard Finishing
Xerox

Announcement

Collapse

Please Read before Posting

The Marketplace area of PrintPlanet was setup to allow end users to buy/sell equipment or announce job openings and post resumes. If you are an equipment dealer or staffing company please contact me about sponsorship packages that we offer.

Please contact me at paul@printplanet.com if you have any questions.
Thanks
See more
See less

Sales Compensation...

Collapse
Canon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Compensation...

Much to my surprise, I didn't find much advice on hiring a sales person when I searched the forums. I am interested in what we should offer in compensation, and how much should be commission vs salary.

We are a small family shop that has been around over 100 years, in a small city. Our two competitors have sales teams and are thriving, we have none and merely get by. Back in the 80s and 90s we had a couple of salesmen that left bad tastes in our mouths. I feel this was partly because of the people that were hired, partly because of the lack of oversight, and partly because they were paid a salary that they could live on comfortably without making sales.

Now that I am taking over the operations of the business, I feel that there is a great deal of work to be had, if only we had someone out selling. I am not a salesman at all, but I love printing, and have been able to pick up a couple of $100K+/year clients, just by forcing myself to go out and sell, even though I am much, much more comfortable overseeing production.

All that being said, I have no clue what the industry standard is for compensation. My thought was to pay them a minimal wage, enough to get by on, but not enough to be comfortable, then give them a percentage of each sale to a new client, or for new work picked up from clients that just give us a little bit of their work. Then I figure they would get a smaller percentage of repeat orders they originally picked up which would continue as long as they worked for us.

I also feel that we would need some type of non-compete clause so that they didn't leave and poach our clients. Something along the lines of no printing sales within 100 miles for 10 years.

I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendation on this.

No Compete is a must
    Compensation is best realized as a percentage of profit. Problem is that most printers have no idea of cost to produce. If You have that part under control then a percentage based on profitability gets easier.
    But beware that you will also need to protect yourself and your shop. sales-reps paid on profit learn quick to shop even against their own companies workforce so set guild-lines up front dealing with the farming out of orders.

Comment

No Compete is a must
      Compensation is best realized as a percentage of profit. Problem is that most printers have no idea of cost to produce. If You have that part under control then a percentage based on profitability gets easier.
      But beware that you will also need to protect yourself and your shop. sales-reps paid on profit learn quick to shop even against their own companies workforce so set guild-lines up front dealing with the farming out of orders.

Comment

We do a draw against commission . . the draw will keep him alive eating beans and rice . . . (keeps him hungry) . . and on close jobs we sit down with out sales rep and work out a different commission for that particular job - we will discount it some but so will he so that we can get the bid in under the wire . .. but a little of something is better than all of nothing . . .

BTW . . . I would love to pay my sales guys 100K a year or more. . just like I would love to pay the IRS a couple of million a year . . think of all the money you would be making . . .
        "If you think you are too small to be effective
        you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

CanonKBAAvantiSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploEnfocusXerox

Free Download

Collapse

Trade Show Survey=
        Instant October Trade Show Survey
        Come On! Only 5 Questions

PRINT 19 and PRINTING United are squaring off in October.
        Will you be at one of them?
        Both? Neither?
        Please take our 1-Minute survey to tell us about your plans for the two big fall shows!

Take The Survey.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4427 users online. 89 members and 4338 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,855 at 12:33 PM on 06-06-2019.

Working...
        X