Any experience with CMY ink savers/optimizers?

Re: Any experience with CMY ink savers/optimizers?

Don,

Just wanted to give everyone a friendly update.

1. Over summer the IDEAlliance Print Properties Group, in association with
proofing vendors and users has developed a new IDEAlliance ISO 12647-7
Control Strip. The file, and matching data files derived from
GRACoL2006_Coated1, SWOP2006_Coated3 and SWOP2006_Coated5 will shortly be
available for download from www.gracol.org. The strip and reference files
can be used to confirm proof accuracy in Measure tool, Excel, any
third-party proof verification software, or the new "IDEAlink Verify"
software which will be available Q1 2007.

2. There are three free default profiles at www.gracol.org for GRACoL (C1),
SWOP (C3) and SWOP (C5). These profiles, named GRACoL2006_Coated1v2,
SWOP2006_Coated3v2 and SWOP2006_Coated5v2 have excellent gamut mapping,
exceptionally smooth color gradients, high GCR for improved dark color
saturation, and late-starting black to minimize the "bearded lady" effect.
These profiles were generated for IDEAlliance by X-Rite using a special
research engine.

We (IDEAlliance) apologize to Don and others if these new developments
haven't been publicized more effectively.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Collins
GRACol Co-Chair

Jeff,

Thank you for the update. Can you also tell me this:

I have mainly SWOP images that I have gotten in the past, as well as still receive.
I have NOT color managed (ICC or Device-Link repurposing) these SWOP images, but simply print the customer's CMYK numbers in their file.
I would like to be able to continue to do this on GRACoL2006_Coated1v2. This is what the How-To looks like it talked about, nothing about ICC or Device-Link repurposing (except for proofing).
I don't see much difference between a GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 and what I print now.

The question is: Why is it I'm told by some to repurpose CMYK, when it looks like to me it would be better to not repurpose CMYK, but to print what comes in? That repurposing has it's own inherent problems, and by not repurposing, I can at least make sure that two colors built in two different programs, that may have two different profiles, actually print the same color. Although the color may not be the best reproduction of what it looks like in the file, both colors will match, where they wouldn't if doing repurposing.

In my mind, if the customer has a problem with a certain color on the PROOF not matching last time's print, then I can scan the last printed piece with a spectro to get the Lab values, use Relative Colorimetric Intent with Black Point Compensation, to get new CMYK values to print to match the last printed piece's color when it prints on GRACoL2006_Coated1v2.

To repurpose or not to repurpose? That is the question. Has GRACoL done any tests on the reasons to repurpose vs. not, and see if the results look that much better when repurposing vs. not?

Thanks again.

Don

What does the 1v2, 3v2, and 5v2 stand for in the ICC profile name?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back