Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font-Specific Trap Error

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

A client recently started using a new font in a multitude of projects, and subsequently is driving us nuts.
    It consistently produces traps that are misaligned. (see images)
    Font is "RozhaOne-Regular.ttf"

Punctuation characters seem especially susceptible, though text can have the same problem, depending on the character. (loopy things, like lower case g, for example)

Working on a MAC
    Running Sierra 10.12.6
    Prinergy Workshop v. 8.1.2.342

Our solution thus far has been outlining the fonts in our Input PDF. Easy enough to do for one client, but I would love to know what the heck it's all about.

Witchcraft?
    Sorcery?
    Some deeply embedded code error in the font that causes it to say "I DO WHAT I WANT!!" ??

Assuming that the trapping irregularity appears only when you pass it through the Prinergy code (correct?), maybe the best thing to do is to contact Kodak Support as see what analysis they can do with this.

The problem may be with the TrueType hinting in the font itself, the Prinergy software, or the combination of the two.

The last thing you want to be doing is “outlining text” since that destroys hinting, generally degrades quality, and has other PDF side effects you really want.

- Dov

Comment

Looks like it's a Google font.
      https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Rozha+One
      The quality of these for print is questionable, I've seen a lot of reported output issues.
      Senior Product Manager
      Enfocus

Comment

Can you post a PDF? I'd like to run it through my Apogee system and see if I get the same results.

Thanks,
        hp

Comment

Yep...Google font or any web font. Freeware fonts too. Prinergy does not work well with any of those types of fonts.
          Joe
          OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
            Yep...Google font or any web font. Freeware fonts too. Prinergy does not work well with any of those types of fonts.
            Hopefully you have reported this to Kodak. When you say “web font” what you are really saying in this context is TrueType fonts. It sounds like Prinergy may have problems with its proprietary trapping and the hinting in some TrueType fonts.

- Dov

Comment

Usually I trace it back to either a Google Font or a freeware font. I say web font because that is usually a Google font but there are others besides Google. Also some Microsoft fonts like the ones included with Windows/Office. One sure fire fail is Roboto. With freeware fonts many times the file will fail processing in the trapper with the error that the font does not have a license to either embed or outline the font. Prinergy does not actually embed or outline any fonts in the trapper but it has to be able to perform those functions to create the trap. And yes they have been reported to Kodak.
              Joe

Comment

The files were too large to upload, so I am hoping this WeTransfer link will work. It's about 106 MB.

https://we.tl/t-WYhl0FPyko

I made some test pages. I tried to illustrate the range of content involved in one f the jobs.
                Indesign file, Font, 1 link, Input PDF, and the three refined and trapped result pages.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.35.31 PM.png

Next I have to find the correct channel for reporting it to Kodak, but in the meantime, poke away guys.
                The hinting idea seems like it would be the culprit. (I admit I had to read up on Hinting)

Comment

As someone mentioned upthread....RozhaOne is a Google font. Kodak will tell you to tell your customers not to use Google fonts. I ran it through Prinergy 8.2 and got the same results you got. Misaligned traps. Google fonts were made for using on websites. Not in print production.
                  Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                    Usually I trace it back to either a Google Font or a freeware font. I say web font because that is usually a Google font but there are others besides Google. Also some Microsoft fonts like the ones included with Windows/Office. One sure fire fail is Roboto. With freeware fonts many times the file will fail processing in the trapper with the error that the font does not have a license to either embed or outline the font. Prinergy does not actually embed or outline any fonts in the trapper but it has to be able to perform those functions to create the trap. And yes they have been reported to Kodak.
                    Roboto is used in a regular program we do every couple of weeks.
                    Fails on APPE output every time, only fix I have found is to use CPSI
                    I haven't tried outlining the font, might try that next issue.

Comment

I started with your PDF and got the same thing you did (it appears the PDF files are pre-trapped). So...

I made a new PDF of page 1 from your InDesign file and did not convert the spot colors to process. Here is what I got in my Apogee system with our standard trap settings:
                      Last edited by Hopkins Printing; 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Trying not to take over the thread. But seeing someone else post about Roboto, reminds me about the Release Notes for Prinergy where it references it in quite a few versions. And then checking on Kodak's Partner Portal, I found a link to this article. https://typographica.org/on-typograp...-frankenstein/ An interesting read. And being in typesetting for a while before getting into prepress, I learned a thing or two about fonts (not by choice either). And my feel on some of these new fonts coming out today, is that the designers are quick to get something out, even if it isn't perfected or gone over by a learned colleague, which causes quite a bit of the issues. Some of the fonts, just don't have the spit and polish of the old fonts, where we might get an update to a font in like 2 years...maybe or not. With today's fonts, we are constantly getting updates, which causes it's own problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkins Printing View Post
                          I started with your PDF and got the same thing you did (it appears the PDF files are pre-trapped). So...

I made a new PDF of page 1 from your InDesign file and did not convert the spot colors to process. Here is what I got in my Apogee system with our standard trap settings:
                          Looks like Apogee doesn't muck it up like Prinergy.
                          The PDFs with the "p1, p2, p3" are the trapped files from Prinergy, (and converted to 4c.)
                          The "00-RozhaOne_TEST Pages.pdf" is the input file and isn't trapped or converted.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBATharsternAvantiXerox

Presswise Article

Collapse

Automated Order Status Tracking
                          In PressWise Workflow Solution

Presswise order status
                          Quick overview of the order status tracking feature on PressWise’s automated workflow solution

Link to Video

4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonSmartsoft (Presswise)TharsternKBAAvantiUltimateXerox

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5674 users online. 97 members and 5577 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                          X