Printergy License

kburton

Hello,

We are in the process of purchasing our first CTP System that will come with Printergy workflow. We will be buying from a shop that is closing. It was mentioned to us by our Plate salesman that when we buy this system we wont own the Printergy License. Has anyone heard if this is true?

One of the things that concerns me about this is that, we want to use a Kodak plate but was told Kodak would not set up this system for the plate since we wont own the Printergy License.

Any info would be much appreciated.

It is absolutely ridiculous but there probably are all kinds of legalese attached to the contract that the software licenses are nontransferable. If you are literally absorbing one entity into another this shouldn't apply but if your doing a one-off equipment purchase they definitely won't support you and might even considering going after you for money if you try. I'm not even sure whether this type of crap has any actual legal footing but I am not a lawyer or legal scholar.

That said, if your buying their plates and using their CtP a reasonable company would be willing to work you a deal. Example: Buy into service contracts or purchase at a steep discount with service contracts.

Bottom-line:
It sounds to me like Kodak isn't very interested in doing business with your business. You don't have to use Brand X plates with a Brand X CtP. You don't even have to use brand X software with brand X CtP (there are minor caveats to this).

If you are buying the whole system, prinergy included. I don't see why you can't transfer the license if the other company is closing. Is the plate salesman from Kodak? If not, he's just blowing smoke to keep the business. If he is from Kodak ask to talk about this his upline or someone in workflow sales. If you purchase a service agreement and plates from Kodak they will get you all set up. If you still have trouble send me an email I have some contacts in Kodak that may be able to assist.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back