New Prepress Equipment/Software Readiness

TFLSGraphics

Good afternoon,

I am reaching out for any guidance on getting up to speed and being prepared for when we get new Prepress Equipment into our facility in the next few months.

We are Pressure Sensitive label manufacturer for a big company that has outdated prepress/platemaking equipment & Software. Currently: On the software side, we create CTP .pdf layouts through Illustrator and drop them into hotfolders through the Trueflow Client Software, once it's approved through that program we will then setup the needed plates on the Flatworker program. Once this is output we then use our Screen PlateRite FX870 laser unit to image the layouts onto the MacDermind Digi-Max Plate Material. After the ablation stage we then use our Nyloflex BASF exposure unit and washer to get to the drying stage with our Polermo Dryer & Detack Units. Keep in mind that our current processing time from beginning to end for plates ranges from 4-5 hours. Future: "We will be making the leap with more modern software and equipment" in a few months in acquiring Esko Grapholous, Press Sync and other esko software/plug-ins, along with a CDI Spark 2530, EVO 3 Exposure Unit and a MacDermid Lava Thermal Processor all the while going with a new plate material - MacDermid LUX ITP.

Now from what I've been told Esko will spend a good amount of time to get us up to speed with the new software and equipment, but I would like to be a little ahead of the curve and reach out for any resources (books, websites, classes) that may be available to someone going through this transition. As you can see from our Current setup/workflow it is very simple with stuff that's already been setup, for the most part, for us. In having a graphic design degree and no flexo/printing production experience before I came into the position I am in now, my flexo knowledge is limited. Most of what I know is on the job training and still feel like a deer in the headlights when it comes to certain Prepress Terminology/Know how. So any Information or guidance that could be shared, I'd highly Appreciate!

Thanks,
Larry P.

As an Esko Application Engineer, I applaud your initiative.

"other esko software/plugins"
Can you be more specific? Automation Engine, Imagining Engine, Deskpack tools, graphic editors? This information will help me direct you to the correct documentation that will make your install a success. I'll be happy to help get you some documentation ahead of time.

Last edited:
Marko - Thank you for your response! "other esko software/plugins" mostly refers to Deskpack tools. Currently we have a few seats of Power Trapper and 1 seat of Power Layout. Power Trapper has been fairly straightforward, Power Layout hasn't been utilized much at all. Still need thorough training/knowledge of the two. Any help or documentation ahead of time would be Greatly Appreciated!!

I'm an Application Engineer on the prepress side, not hardware so I can't help too much on that side.

Ok, not much to share with just Deskpack Power Trapper/Power layout that's not already available on the web site but here are some PDFS to start.
They are easy manuals, as they are only 40-50 each and I feel they are pretty well written (kudos to Nicolas).

Date Exchange (free and will be install automatically)
http://docs.esko.com/docs/en-us/data...nge-for-ai.pdf

Powertrapper:
http://docs.esko.com/docs/en-us/desk...wertrapper.pdf

Power Layout:
http://docs.esko.com/docs/en-us/desk...owerlayout.pdf

Dynamic Marks:
http://docs.esko.com/docs/en-us/dyna...namicmarks.pdf

Some advice:
Create some standards such as constant name of files, constant name of die lines, size of bleed, size of trap, location of files, file folder structure.
Have some good samples of TYPICAL jobs ready for the trainer. Not the crazy, once in a blue moon files-stuff you do all day long. If you present the odd file that takes forever to rip, crashed, etc... all you're doing is wasting the training time and making it troubleshooting time.
Get a good set of press marks designed and ready
Get a good Proof Slug/ID Tag created in Illustrator ready and approved by all the parties involved
Go through the above manuals and play with the software before the trainer gets there and create a list of questions for them.

Hope this little bit helps.

Last edited:
How would these AI plugging fit into a commercial sheetfed and wide format workflow?
We are running AE14 with Fastimpose and NEO. I would love to see more automation in our workflow, but the project are so diverse
and always needing attention and or editing etc..

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back