Gravure to Flexo Conversion

Kelvin Antony

Since the beginning of last year one of our clients started converting their jobs from Gravure to flexo, it has been a really steep learning curve of trying to match the gravuer target samples.
My current workflow has been doing the color corrections manually on every artwork, and doing several gmg proofs until i reach an almost close result to gravuer, 80% of 100 the jobs have gone through well but 20% the jobs dont match so we have to replace the plates and do some colour changes to match which has cost us as the platemakers alot of redos.
I am curious from you guys have you done these kinds of conversions before and if so maybe you can show me a better way of doing it or if there are softwares involved that we need to purchase to assist in the process.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at what is being done with Bellissima screening to help match gravure with flexo. They have offices in the UK and S Africa: Ultra HD Flexo Screening for Printers - Bellissima DMS High Definition Screening | Hamillroad Software

The reason I made this suggestion is that your difficulties may be due to the difference in gamuts. Gravure can lay down more ink than is typical with flexo - hence a wider gamut. Bellissima enables a wider gamut for flexo as well covering more of the substrate for a given tone value hence diminishing the greying caused by light not being filtered bey the ink. In any case might be worth investigating.

Last edited:
Have a look at what is being done with Bellissima screening to help match gravure with flexo. They have offices in the UK and S Africa: Ultra HD Flexo Screening for Printers - Bellissima DMS High Definition Screening | Hamillroad Software

The reason I made this suggestion is that your difficulties may be due to the difference in gamuts. Gravure can lay down more ink than is typical with flexo - hence a wider gamut. Bellissima enables a wider gamut for flexo as well covering more of the substrate for a given tone value hence diminishing the greying caused by light not being filtered bey the ink. In any case might be worth investigating.
Thanks for your input, let me have a look at it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back