Preferred Stocks for the iJet 1175P

SPP-ShaneC

Hello everyone!

Im so appreciative of all the feedback we've received while we were exploring the iJet 1175P. We are nearing our installation date next week and im thrilled to be switching gears to a machine that has pretty great reviews.

Printware has mentioned that media is important for output on these inkjet systems, and they didn't really recommend using the envelopes that we've been using for going on 30 years. Western States has always been our biggest provider of envelopes.

The brands they recommended are ones that we do currently offer to customers if they want a higher-end product.

The recommended brands were Lindenmeyer Munroe, Mohawk and Seville. We also sell alot of Domtar Cougar to customers that want that quality, and I find them comparable to Mohawk.

These stocks are obviously going to provide a better output compared to standard white wove, as they have a much smoother surface with less noticeable grain, so ink sits on top better instead of having any absorbing action.

We're not going to be in a position, though, where we can just upgrade every job to these medias. Were currently paying about $22 per thousand of the Western States White Wove standard #10s.

The Mohawk #10 regular smooth envelopes are $51.65 per thousand. Domtar #10 regular smooth is $65.75 per thousand.
I am bringing in a case of the #10 Lindenmeyer, but there still 50% more then were currently paying and I honestly dont see a difference in them, so I wonder of they were referring to Lindenmeyers Opaque line. We plan to revise our envelope pricing some, I just don't want to see all of our increased profits from the iJet eaten up with stock.

We certainly do have some customers that want to pay for that quality, but a majority of runs, our customers just want white wove and we have to be competitive for those clients.

Just curious what brands many of you tend to run on your iJet 1175P for your standard #10 stocks? Are you having pretty good output with standard white wove envelopes?

We've currently been using Western States envelopes on our Riso ComColor, which prints comparable to memjet and has a more muted color. Of course, if we run a side-by-side comparison on white wove vs something like Mohawk Smooth, the Mohawk smooth definitely looks slightly better, buts its not an over-the-top difference.

Ill be excited to do my own comparisons next week when we have the iJet in, but would love to know what others are running so I can start exploring the ordering process if we want to try some. With Western States being such a large envelope manufacture, im very curious to see if anyone else is currently using their products on their iJet 1175P with pretty good results.

Thanks so much!

Western States WAS having an issue with keeping up with demand and some of the QC was off, I switched back to Printmaster and they have been running OK though our memjet and the price is good.

Western States WAS having an issue with keeping up with demand and some of the QC was off, I switched back to Printmaster and they have been running OK though our memjet and the price is good.
Thanks for the feedback! Western was definitely having supply issues for awhile, but has seemed to get a lot better for regular stocks. Digi-Clear is still almost impossible to get, which is one major factor to us going inkjet. We have seen some qc issues with Western, but honestly we’ve experienced more with PrintMaster and I won’t order their stock at all right now. It seemed they switched to a weird paper type for awhile that was similar to newspaper stock but slightly thicker, and we couldn’t get their envelopes to pass through our Riso at all.

The iJet 1175P specifically isn’t memjet, so I’m curious to see if anyone uses the Western States stock with those HP FI-1000 Printheads and has had decent output. :)

We have been using the cheap Lindenmeyr and PrintMasters on our Martin Yale 1170.... (same machine basically)

No issues at all.

Just a quick update! Spent a full day with the 1175P today and was happy with the quality on our Western States stock. :) For jobs with full color imagery, we may decide to use the better Lindenmeyr stock, but we were very happy with the output on Western.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Just curious with the most up to date models, did they fix the issue of ink overspray from full bleed printing getting on the exit belts? Wonder if they made that ink catch tray any bigger. Also have you tried running variable data on it yet?

Just curious with the most up to date models, did they fix the issue of ink overspray from full bleed printing getting on the exit belts? Wonder if they made that ink catch tray any bigger. Also have you tried running variable data on it yet?
We did quite a bit of full bleeding testing and didn’t have any over-spraying in the belt. He showed me the waste ink catch and it seems like a good setup, but I don’t personally know how it compares to older models. I wish I would have taken a picture of it before he put the printhead on, because he explained how it worked during setup

I have not personally run variable data on it yet, but we will be. The main issue with running variable data is the size of the PDF generated, because it’s generating a page for every address and you’re going to face some buffering in high resolution mode. It prints fine in production mode, which is just slightly less quality, but will be fine for anything we have going in the mail.

Attachments

• 4323B1C7-4ADA-4307-9004-F773E6A3A663.jpeg
    4323B1C7-4ADA-4307-9004-F773E6A3A663.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
Does it have a fiery? If so use the "Overlay feature" so only th veriable is sent for each page
It does not have a Fiery. It uses a Xitron Navigator RIP. I personally love the software. It’s more user friendly than Fiery. We have 4 Fiery servers in the building and I’m not thrilled with it.

I did finally print a variable data job and the buffering wasn’t bad at all. It did not slow down production at all. Every 50-60 sheets it paused for about 1 second (enough for one single envelope pass). When he said it would buffer on variable data in high res mode i thought he meant significantly. We’ll be just fine printing variable on this. :)

I’m going to do a full review of the 1175P and my overall experience with Printware. I have to say that this is by far the best envelope solution I have ever used.

Agree the last 4 pallets have been Printmaster. Western is so hit and miss right now, sounds like real issues with labor.

Agree the last 4 pallets have been Printmaster. Western is so hit and miss right now, sounds like real issues with labor.
That’s so interesting to me! We have seemed to have horrible luck with PrintMaster’s quality lately, and have had much better luck with Western States.

I wonder if you got old stock? Other thing is we only get hard boxes from PM, I found the soft boxes from PM the envelopes are lessor quality and we had issues with them.

I wonder if you got old stock? Other thing is we only get hard boxes from PM, I found the soft boxes from PM the envelopes are lessor quality and we had issues with them.
We were also getting the hard boxes. I didn’t know they had soft boxes honestly! It’s possible we were getting older stock. We get our PrintMaster from Lindenmeyr as well, as they have a local warehouse, so that’s possible.

I typically stick with Western States becuase they’ve been the most consistent for the price. Even PrintMaster and Lindenmeyr brand are $10 more per thousand. PrintMaster I just haven’t had the luck with (and iJet actually told us not to get them), but the Lindenmeyr brand are nice, just not nice enough to pay $10 more per thousand unless we are in a pinch.

We had the most issues with the A-series and Catalogs with PrintMaster. I don’t know if it’s still this way, but with their A-series, they switched paper type for awhile and it was almost like a newspaper stock. It was horrible quality. The catalogs always seem to be warped unfortunately, so they struggle to run.

My biggest issue with western during the pandemic was their inability to keep up with supply. There were times we had to order other brands and quality was difficult. For regular #10’s, I had 100,000 on order for 8 months at the height of the pandemic. I’ve had a few QC issues with Western States over the years, but generally we’ve been most happy with them for the price point.

I also only buy by the pallet with 10 cases minimum, so we get the pallet price and free shipping, which makes them quite a bit cheaper in most cases then other brands.

iJet had just mentioned that we may not be as happy with our output quality on WS stock. I’ve ran it now for 4 days though and I don’t see a single difference in output between WS stock and LM— so that answered my initial question. :)

I’m extremely happy with the iJet!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back