Who do you think makes a good plate?

Apphoard

We are looking to buy a new plate maker. We now have Presstek CTP system and run their freedom pro chemistry free plate. They are the worst plates I have ever ran. There is no ink and water balance with light to medium coverage on coated stocks. They require to much water our black ink always wants to emulsify. Everyone I have talked to about these plates have similar problems. I have tried everything to get them to run right and have given up. So I have convinced my company to get us a new ctp system and I was wondering what info you guys may have on what to buy or what not to buy. So if you are having similar problems with another brand please tell me! I was thinking of looking into a Agfa or a Fuji chemistry free plate because we have no room and want to do as little maitenance to the ctp system as possible. I really appreciate any info you guys may have to say on this. All of our runs are less than 10,000 imp. Like I said we want a plate that runs very well. We already have ctp system so I really need to make a good choice.

My last shop was using a Presstek Dimension running Presstek Anthem (I think) plates, and it sucked. 5 years of nothing but problems (luckily, I only had to use the system for 3 months.)

We switched to an Agfa Avalon (really a Screen machine rebadged with the Agfa logo) and Agfa AzuraTS plates and it was absolutely wonderful, both for prepress and the pressmen.

The Screen machines are very nice, and easier to get parts for than a Kodak. Fuji also uses Screens.

Thanks guys we are now looking into the Kodak Sonora plate. Its a process less plate and chem free. So that would be great for us because we have to make our own plates. So there would be hardly any maintenance to the ctp system. Because it is a dry plate. The Presstek system we have now just uses water which isn't that bad. Just the plates don't run well at all.

My last shop was using a Presstek Dimension running Presstek Anthem (I think) plates, and it sucked. 5 years of nothing but problems (luckily, I only had to use the system for 3 months.)

We switched to an Agfa Avalon (really a Screen machine rebadged with the Agfa logo) and Agfa AzuraTS plates and it was absolutely wonderful, both for prepress and the pressmen.

The Screen machines are very nice, and easier to get parts for than a Kodak. Fuji also uses Screens.

Exact same as DCurry..had Presstek for 9 very dark months back in 2005 and then went to an Acento (Rebadged Screen) running Azura and now Azura TS. Been almost nine years no complaints.

We started with the fuji chem free (process in press) then switched to the kodak for a bit before settling down on the Heidelberg Sapphira (agfa ts i believe). We had problems with toning and blinding on both fuji and kodak at different points although they were reasonable about 80% of the time. Since switching to Sapphira we have had virtually no problems. There is a lot of chemistry at play here with regards to fount solution, ink and plate technology so it seems like you kind of need to get it all in sync. And we found just sticking with the same vendor for these eliminated a lot of finger pointing. Im partial to the suprasetter as far as imaging or screen (lots of rebadged screen devices though)

I get to run Agfa AzuraTS plates on the weekend at my part-time job. They do run really well and would be happy with them for sure. My company had bought this Presstek system about 4 years ago. I have fought these plate for three years as long as I have been there. Luckily with the new ctp system we will be able to run other plates. Unlike the Presstek system. Again thx for the help guys.

Try Agfa Azura with your Presstek CTP system. Also try other plates with the same system before convincing the management to replace the CTP. You will need to align the laser for different plates.

I considered something like that when I was told I couldnt run anyone elses plates. I was also told you would need a engineer for that. Because the laser in the Presstek machine would not operate at the required amount for the new plate and that the laser and other things in the machine would need to be changed. Do you know somebody that could make the Agfa plates work in the Presstek machine?

I agree that it might be worth looking into running a different plate on the Presstek CTP, but in my case the CTP was a dog as well, not just the plates. It was a Dimension 800, though your mileage may vary.

Honestly the ctp machine has been very good. It is just the plates. The machine we have is a Presstek FL52 I believe.

Honestly the ctp machine has been very good. It is just the plates. The machine we have is a Presstek FL52 I believe.

Hi Apphoard,

I believe the laser in the FL52 is 1064 nm (nanometer) thermal. You should verify if it is. If this is the case, you need a plate that is made for 1064 nm. Agfa made one a long time ago when they sold the 1064 nm Galileo CtP. But they stopped making both. I think just about every other thermal CtPs have an 830 nm laser system and most, if not all other thermal plates are 830 nm . I know our Suprasetter CtP is 830 nm, so is Kodak and Screen thermal CtPs. Our Saphira thermal plates are 830nm sensitivity. You may have a hard time finding another 1064 nm plate to try. If you find one, let us know. Thanks

Best regards,

I have been involved with collating data and the type and manufacture of CtP plate you use will determine the water and ink level needed on press . You can save and reduce ink cost up to 15% and water saving up to 45% compared to other CtP plates available. To be truthful although a processor and developing chemical is needed the chemical saving and benefits in the pressroom far out weight the 100-200 litres of chemical savings that the no chem or develop on press technology offers. This hybrid plate technology takes the better prove features of the Chemical based CtP plates and allows chemical savings in the pressroom rather than the pre press room . Interesting to see if this starts other plate manufactures on the same path

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back