Who's advice to follow?

Good day fellow friends,

Recently I had posted a forum on here about slinging ink. The feed back I received was very helpful and I am thankful for that. Sadly it did not fix my problem of the slinging. So now my next question is who's advice do we follow? The ink man or the fountain solution man? They both have good products, they are just not working together in our shop.

What do you guys suggest on who to use and what to use? We have prisco fountain solution and toyo ink. Personally I really like the ink I think it's a very good ink.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Have them both in a room with you at the same time to look at the problem and discuss its resolution .
I have tried that and the water guy backed out a couple days ahead. We did do a conference call already. I know the water guy wants me to try a different ink so that tells me he knows his product is not doing the job, correct?

You like the ink. I'm sure lots of people like the ink. The fact that your water guy backed out may not be a good sign. I usually went with the ink guy (when I ran ink). He usually knows what works with his ink and what does not. Make sure there are no mechanical issues first. Even the perfect combo won't work if pressures are off.

Last edited:
Can you post a micro photo of the slinging you're seeing? That should clarify what you mean by slinging and it will probably reveal what the problem is.

This is what I mean by micro photo (halftone dots):

02_LeftGood_RightPoor.jpg

Last edited:
UV ink is formulated differently than conventional ink and it can be a little more difficult to find a fountain solution and ink that work really well together. A lot of it depends on the shop’s environment, your start up speeds, run lengths, hardness or type of water being used, etc., etc., and while I could give you my personal best solution, it may not be the best solution for you in your particular situation.

Trial and error in practice for you is probably going to be better than what ‘reps in a room‘ might suggest because believe me, in their own minds, they all have something that works really well. The reality you might find though is that only some of them actually do. Maybe you could try a few different ‘suggested’ samples of etch and/or ink, and see how they perform together for you on press.

And that’s not saying anything about the possibility of your toning/scumming issue being a mechanical one. If it is there’s probably no combination of fountain solution and ink will solve your problem completely. It’s helpful to first know what the problem actually is before you can go about trying to successfully solve it.

[SNIP]

And that’s not saying anything about the possibility of your toning/scumming issue being a mechanical one. If it is there’s probably no combination of fountain solution and ink will solve your problem completely. It’s helpful to first know what the problem actually is before you can go about trying to successfully solve it.

The OP stated they have a "slinging" issue. You mention toning/scumming which are two separate things that are not slinging.
I totally agree that "It’s helpful to first know what the problem actually is before you can go about trying to successfully solve it" - in fact it's critical. That's why I asked that the OP post photos of the problem as it might help to define what the problem is.
Right now I'm not convinced that the OP knows what the problem is. I'm also suspicious when I read his statement that "the water guy backed out [of a conference call/meeting] a couple days ahead. That makes no sense to me.

Good day Gentlemen.
I apologize it took so long for me to respond. I have talked this over with a Heidelberg rep and he told me to skew my meters harder. I did and it definitely helped. I honestly think I have two problems on my hands

1. Bad roller stripes
2. We need a different plate.

I will attach some photos and try to respond quicker. Thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• 20240117_151050.jpg
    20240117_151050.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Camera_20231106_104246.jpg
    Camera_20231106_104246.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 33

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back