Miss the old PrepressForums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss the old PrepressForums

I miss the prepressforums.com. This site just isn't as featured, nor does it seem to have as much traffic and prepressforums.com.

Re: Miss the old PrepressForums

> {quote:title=jetzerm wrote:}{quote}
    > I miss the prepressforums.com. This site just isn't as featured, nor does it seem to have as much traffic and prepressforums.com.

As a researcher I am interested in what features you find missing. Being specific about the missing features will help the back office staff.

Transitioning to a new platform never happens overnight. Same goes for adding features to the new services.

The email notices have been much improved since the first weeks. I appreciate being able to edit posted messages and draft copies being available if you hit the wrong key when you are posting.

A better place for this conversation may be the Lounge area since it is not a prepress issue.

Uncle Dave

Edited by: Dave Mainwaring on Sep 14, 2007 8:47 AM

Comment

whats missing are the old posts, they need to be merged into this forum or the whole exercise was a waste of time.

Comment

The problem with importing the posts is that we didn't import users. Without the users the posts would have no ownership

Comment

yep - i miss ppf too - it was home.

Comment

Dave Mainwaring wrote:
            "As a researcher I am interested in what features you find missing. Being specific about the missing features will help the back office staff."

I am sure that PrintPlanet put a lot of effort and research into coming up with the "look and feel" of the website, but IMO it is not very friendly. I don't necessarily mean "user friendly", because I can move around and find things. But, it is not "people" friendly. It does not encourage or invite people to explore and move around the site. The old pressforums.com was a much better layout, again in my opinion. The reality of it is, people will use the site if it (a) useful and informative and (b) fun and friendly. IMO this site is not. Opinions and free speech are not allowed to run as free on PrintPlanet as they do/did on those other two sites. This discourages people from participating on the forums. Specifically... the design is too corporate. If different skins were available that would allow people to customize the look, that would help. If the use of moving avatars was allowed, that would appeal to people. If a "most recent posts" areas was near the top, that would be nicer. To sum up the choice of software... it is just not friendly, and the site seems to be too rigid in how it wants people to participate. Users like to feel that it is "their" site. Right now, PrintPlanet does not feel like that. I make these comments with the sincere hope that they will be accepted as constructive criticism. Based on what I have heard from other users who have attempted to post links to other sites etc. ...I expect is that this post will probably be edited or deleted. If that happens, you should no longer wonder why people are not feeling positive about participating at PrintPlanet.

Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
            Removed Spam

Comment

i agree with most of what 30 years has to say, some of those features need to be worked in. as far as the look of the page, i kind of like this look, it just needs the features. with features will come more users. there are some very useful threads on this site, but it is a shame that all the years of useful links couldnt just merge over. i still have PPF linked, and i search it occasionally. it is going to take a while to build up all of the info of PPF into this site.

i am of the opinion that there is plenty of room for 2 or 3 or more prepress sites. there are plenty of people in the prepress world to populate lots of sites. i am constantly trying to get colleauges onto these sites, but some people just dont want to. i think they are missing the boat. all of this info at our fingertips...

i feel positive about this place, met some new people, and gotten some good help, and exchanged ideas. is PP as busy as the old PPF? no, but reports of it being dead, IMO, are exagerrated.

cr

Comment

I know the thread is about those of you that miss the old prepress forums, but you know what? I miss the old PrintPlanet forums. Not to take away what you all are feeling, but I've felt the same about the old PrintPlanet. So hopefully we can all come together and enjoy still being able to share info and talk with peers. I myself am (finally?) getting used to the new format. And I'm looking to join more "prepress" forums too. Good day to you all.

Don

Comment

> {quote:title=disbellj wrote:}{quote}
                  > I know the thread is about those of you that miss the old prepress forums, but you know what? I miss the old PrintPlanet forums. Not to take away what you all are feeling, but I've felt the same about the old PrintPlanet. So hopefully we can all come together and enjoy still being able to share info and talk with peers. I myself am (finally?) getting used to the new format. And I'm looking to join more "prepress" forums too. Good day to you all.
                  >
                  > Don

well stated.

Comment

> {quote:title=30YearsandCounting wrote:}Based on what I have heard from other users who have attempted to post links to other sites etc. ...I expect is that this post will probably be edited or deleted. If that happens, you should no longer wonder why people are not feeling positive about participating at PrintPlanet.
                    >
                    > Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
                    > Removed Spam

Why would we want to support a site where a lot of the content is about how bad PrintPlanet is and we are referred to as the "Dark Side". Think about it.

Any content that has been removed has been removed because it was attacking another user or spam. Is that you definition of censorship?

Comment

In all fairness, that was an initial response when the split occurred, true. Now that "Other Forum" has moved on to be more like the atmosphere that the old PPF had going. Where' s the harm in having members on both sites exactly? Foster a sense of community instead of two separate factions & everybody wins. In theory.

Comment

30YearsandCounting wrote:
                        "Based on what I have heard from other users who have attempted to post links to other sites etc. ...I expect is that this post will probably be edited or deleted. If that happens, you should no longer wonder why people are not feeling positive about participating at PrintPlanet."

Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
                        Removed Spam
                        -----------------------------

I am quite sad to see that PrintPlanet did not see the value in keeping my entire posting intact. All my comments were made in a professional and positive manner with the intent to help improve this forum. The reference that I made to another prepress site was deleted and has been called "spam".
                        The most definitive definition of spam IMO would be:
                        "unwanted e-mail (usually of a commercial nature sent out in bulk)".

The site that I referenced is not a commercial site, it is a site that encourages open discussion among members of the prepress community. There are also several other similar sites that I am aware of. I fail to understand how PrintPlanet can interpret this example as "spam". If this "violation" is included in the Terms and Conditions of this website, then I would suggest that you reconsider this obvious abuse of free speech. The ability to freely express ones opinion, in a professional manner, should not be censored. Uncle Dave asked for peoples opinions on what could be done to improve this site. I responded in a polite, positive and articulate manner, with just a few of the many things that I would recommend. To feel the need to censor my comments does nothing but suggest that PrintPlanet does not intend this site to be an open forum for discussion. I humbly suggest that this is something that needs to be re-examined if the "new" PrintPlanet is ever to succeed.

Comment

> {quote:title=SlaveToTheMan wrote:}{quote}
                          > In all fairness, that was an initial response when the split occurred, true. Now that "Other Forum" has moved on to be more like the atmosphere that the old PPF had going. Where' s the harm in having members on both sites exactly? Foster a sense of community instead of two separate factions & everybody wins. In theory.
                          one thing i haven't read on either site was that you had to choose one or the other...

cr

Comment

> {quote:title=SlaveToTheMan wrote:}{quote}
                            > Where' s the harm in having members on both sites exactly?

nothing at all!

Comment

> {quote:title=30YearsandCounting wrote:}{quote}

> Edited by: Cory Smith on Sep 14, 2007 8:24 AM
                              > Removed Spam

I think I've said this before, but it popped into my head so I'll say it again.

On the board I'm an admin we've laid done the rule that mods and admins are not to edit posts that users make with the exception of swearing. Threads or posts are deleted in their entirety and the offending user(s) are PM'd about why. editing a thread for any reason, even as innocent as spam, leaves it open for the user to accuse the administration of changing what they have said in the post. Unfortunately there's no way to show proof and it becomes one persons word against another's. For swearing we simply change the curse words to something more universally appropriate, and usually remove the line that says the post was edited.

As for missing the old PPF. Nothing I can do about that. It's like losing your dog. Deal and move on.

I to still am not in love with the layout/format/software of the new printplanet. It's what the powers at be have chosen so I'll deal if I want to participate I guess.

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
                              OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
                              EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600
                              Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
                              918 Printery - Ad artem artium conservatricem conservandam

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
                              UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4200 users online. 98 members and 4102 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
                              X