1 bit tiff w/ Creative Suite. How? (CTP Issues)

samB

So I went to order plates for our Presstek Vector machine, and was asked "didn't you get the letter"? Apparently they don't make them anymore and no other plates work on that machine.

Mad dash to figure out how to stay in business... We found someone who can make plates for us while the boss scrambles to figure out what to do with our $20,000 boat anchor. They told me that I need to send them 1 bit tiff files. How do i do that with creative suite, and how can I trap it first?

My usual workflow is to take a supplied PDF, make the corrections necessary, impose it by hand in InDesign, and then print it to presstek's RIP with InDesign's built-in trapping. (Presstek's rip wouldn't trap spot colors, but that's another story which is not relevant anymore).

All I have here is Creative Suite, PitStop, and that RIP... which I believe is build on Harlequin technology, but really locked down and gutted.

Can your RIP do it? I don't know of a way to get 1-bit TIFFs from any application in CS. It would make sense to me to keep your workflow the same - but grab the files after you've RIP'd them to send to the other printer to make plates for you.

Your RIP is creating the TIFF's and putting them somewhere (some folder) before they are sent to the imagesetter. Try disconnecting the imagesetter from the RIP and then ripping a file, then search that PC's hard drive for TIFF files. Hope that works.

That's a good idea, thanks. I was just about to say that I don't see any way to export the tiff from the rip.

I'll try poking around on the hard drive. You're right, they have to be somewhere one would think.

You can't just send them the PDF's and have them make plates as if it were any other job they had for themselves? Or is there something specific that is done on your computer that theirs will not do? Whenever we made plates for anyone else I just got PDF's, same when we had to have someone else make them for us.

We replaced our Presstek CTP last year with a used Screen device and have to say it is a huge improvement. Sure sucks to buy another device, but the headaches it saves in the long run is worth it.

Your RIP is creating the TIFF's and putting them somewhere (some folder) before they are sent to the imagesetter. Try disconnecting the imagesetter from the RIP and then ripping a file, then search that PC's hard drive for TIFF files. Hope that works.

This is what I was getting at... this is the best (maybe only) solution if the other printer is specifically asking you for 1-bit TIFFs.

You can't just send them the PDF's and have them make plates as if it were any other job they had for themselves? Or is there something specific that is done on your computer that theirs will not do? Whenever we made plates for anyone else I just got PDF's, same when we had to have someone else make them for us.

We replaced our Presstek CTP last year with a used Screen device and have to say it is a huge improvement. Sure sucks to buy another device, but the headaches it saves in the long run is worth it.

It the press configuration is different it may not be a good idea to have the other printer do the imposition or trapping. It would be best for him to continue to process files through the workflow he's been using, but to take the post RIP files and image them on a different platesetter.

It the press configuration is different it may not be a good idea to have the other printer do the imposition or trapping. It would be best for him to continue to process files through the workflow he's been using, but to take the post RIP files and image them on a different platesetter.

We do "service bureau" work for several printers that have different equipment than ours, they send us imposed pdfs but not trapped all we do is hit the setbacks on the plates they need and run the plates . . . they have never been happier . . .

Harlequin rips are mainly used to output 1 bit (seperated & screened) tif files for CTP.
Since Presstek, as well as other OEMs, usually compress and/or rename and/or re-encode these files (in order to be able to charge extra for releasing the ripped files for general use), you may need a utility to convert the files to generic tif format.
Also, you'll need to match the resolution and orientation of your 1 bit tiffs to the CTP that exposes the plates.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back