10.6, Suitcase Fusion, and fonts missing . . .

dabob

I upgraded to 10.6.3, Suitcase Fusion 3 and CS5 . . . . then the trouble began . . . I got a file in from a good designer who knows what he is doing from me beating him up for about 10 years now . . . . same base file we ran a few months ago updated for a different event and even though Suitcase showed the fonts Helvetica Neue Light and Bold active they were not available in InDesign. Called Suitcase and they had me nuke the font caches - didn't make any difference . . . bought font doctor and have been running it over the weekend. Fortunately the designer made me a set of press ready pfs when I called to talk about it so there is no pressure on this job but would love to be able to have all my fonts soon . . . any ideas???????

Hi dabob.

I am sure many of us have problems since Apple uses Helvetica Neue as a system font in Snow Leopard.
When you activate these fonts there should be an error message where you will have to allow the compatibility problem. I managed to install and activate Helvetica Neue in Fusion3 as mac postscript font. I had no luck with the true type and as didn't have the open type version, I wasn't able to try it.

Also in Suitcase Fusion 3 preferences set the Activation Options radio button to Activate the requested font. It's worth adding your CS5 programs to the Auto-Activation field so you don't even have to start Fusion 3 to have your vault fonts activated.

font-issue workaround

font-issue workaround

Hi, the quickest way to solve the problem is to copy those fonts into the fontfolder thats in the same location where you find the Indesign-application. Fonts in that folder will always load first when the application starts.

Yes, Helvetica Neue can be a challenging one, since it's a required system font on Mac OS X. If you're still having issues, I recommend contacting Extensis support. They will be able to walk you through diagnosing the issue and getting going - and it's all free of charge. Extensis Customer and Technical Support

Jim Kidwell
Extensis

InDesign CS5 will recognize fonts in the "Document Fonts" folder, which would reside in the same folder as your document. If you are on the Mac, you should update to the newest version as it as a fix for loading of fonts this way.

switch to using Linotypes Font Explorer.
It's free and works ton's better than Suitcase.
You'll never look back.

Linkage:

Linotype FontExplorer X 1.0.1 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Version 1.2.3 was the final free version of this FontExplorer X.
The former free version FontExplorer X 1.2.3 does not offer server integration. We no longer provide support for this version." Only FontExplorer X Pro now supported. $79.
Free version has poor functionality with 10.6 Snow Leopard. Pro version was updated to v2.0.3 for 10.6 compatibility...

The new product is described here:
FontExplorer X Pro - 2.5.1

I can't speak to whether it's any good, because I've been working with Windows for the last year or so.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back