2 sided status shell but only 1 side data merge - Command workstation

wonderings

I have a letter that is full colour 2 sided. The data marge is a name and address on the front page only. I saved my shell as a PDF and dropped in Command Workstation. I then made a PDF with he variable data from Indesign. I only did 1 page, no blank back. Dropped the variable PDF into Command Workstation, merged them and looked at my preview. It added the data on both front and back of the static shell. Is there a way to do this in Command workstation or do I need to make my variable file with a blank back for 2 sided prints to work?

I make the static back 2 sided, then in VDP under enhanced freeform I define the mapping and the variable gets put on pg 1 of the 2 pages.

I haven't been able to get mapping to work either. I'm on cw 5.3.1.91 the option's there but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have a step by step for two pdf files for creating the overlay and mapping the vd file to just pg 1.

I do have an easy way to add blank pages using an acrobat plugin.

It took me quite a while to get the hang of it. I print a lot of 2 up 11 x 17 stuff with static backs. I created one side with the static data and left the second side blank on an 11x17. Then I impose the letters 2up on 11x17 no duplex. Then I make the static with the blank page the master. Then I select that master on the one that is variable and make these settings changes in the freeform:

2up-freeform.jpg

It took me quite a while to get the hang of it. I print a lot of 2 up 11 x 17 stuff with static backs. I created one side with the static data and left the second side blank on an 11x17. Then I impose the letters 2up on 11x17 no duplex. Then I make the static with the blank page the master. Then I select that master on the one that is variable and make these settings changes in the freeform:

Thanks, that did work. I have never monkeyed around with any of the settings for VD in Command Workstation. We do not do a whole lot of variable stuff and when we do it is pretty basic i.e. an address or a name.

I usually use Xmpie for my variable but sometimes we get flattened pdfs from customers and this is the easiest way to do it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back