68 Page 5.5x8.5 Booklet

AP90

Hey guys, I have a customer asking for a quote on a 68 page 5.5x8.5 booklet. The insides are on 100# gloss text and the cover is 100# gloss cover. Needless to say this is a pretty good size booklet. We don't have any finishing options that are capable of doing this currently. Our online booklet maker will only fold and staple up to 10 sheets of 100# gloss text, not to mention adding in the cover. We just have a plockmatic 60 as a back up offline booklet maker, and its stapling is hit or miss on something this big, not to mention the fold is almost non existent. I thought this might be a good time to add that squarefold trimmer to the booklet maker but I still couldn't fold or staple that thick of a booklet.

I'm pretty much going to have to pass on this project, even though it is pretty good money. What are my not so expensive options going forward for the future to get jobs like this done. I know Craig's $55k plockmatic would handle this, but thats not happening any time soon. Thanks guys.

I would recommend checking out a perfect binding option. that's getting to be pretty thick for a saddle stitch book.

I would recommend checking out a perfect binding option. that's getting to be pretty thick for a saddle stitch book.

Id agree with that but this is what they are wanting so I'm trying to quote them on this. Already called 1 bindery shop and it was too big for them. Waiting to hear back from 2 others. One is 20 mins away and the other is 2 hours. I'm hoping for the 20 minute drive.

You can't question the customer -I just talked to another printer who was wondering if we could print a low volume 250 copies of a 48 page full color book . . so far so good . . oh the dimensions would be 9 inches tall and 12 inches wide . . makes that a 9 x 24 inch press sheet saddle stitched . . . suggested wire o binding - customer would have none of it . . . any body got a digital press capable of printing that size sheet???????

But remember . . . the customer is always right :)

You can't question the customer -I just talked to another printer who was wondering if we could print a low volume 250 copies of a 48 page full color book . . so far so good . . oh the dimensions would be 9 inches tall and 12 inches wide . . makes that a 9 x 24 inch press sheet saddle stitched . . . suggested wire o binding - customer would have none of it . . . any body got a digital press capable of printing that size sheet???????

I hear Ya there! Most places are set in their ways and want what they want even though it might not be the best way. This booklet would look so much better perfect bound but they want saddle. I'm gonna guess they're going to get a saddle stitched booklet from me or someone else and then complain that it isn't "professional" or doesn't lay flat enough or something. Remember, the customer is AlWAYS right AND it's always the printers fault lol.

Depends what you mean by inexpensive but we got a Horizon MC80 with 4 towers (8 bins each), stitcher/folder and trimmer for 15k. We only run it with two of the towers and keep the others for backup/parts. If you do the math then obviously a 68 pager makes it a double pass since we only have 16 bins. For us a double pass means running one pass of 9 bins and the other of 8 bins and then going to the offline saddle stitcher and putting a single stitch in one booklet at a time.

actually.... I was JUST looking at Heidelberg's new Linoprint at a summit. One of the BIGGEST things that caught my eye was the ability to print 13" x 27.5". but I don't know much about it.

actually.... I was JUST looking at Heidelberg's new Linoprint at a summit. One of the BIGGEST things that caught my eye was the ability to print 13" x 27.5". but I don't know much about it.

Yeah . . but finding one in your neighborhood is probably unlikely . . along with a 26 inch IGen - anybody know where you can get a geographical listing of Newer IGens or the like????

Hey guys, I have a customer asking for a quote on a 68 page 5.5x8.5 booklet. The insides are on 100# gloss text and the cover is 100# gloss cover. Needless to say this is a pretty good size booklet. We don't have any finishing options that are capable of doing this currently. Our online booklet maker will only fold and staple up to 10 sheets of 100# gloss text, not to mention adding in the cover. We just have a plockmatic 60 as a back up offline booklet maker, and its stapling is hit or miss on something this big, not to mention the fold is almost non existent. I thought this might be a good time to add that squarefold trimmer to the booklet maker but I still couldn't fold or staple that thick of a booklet.

I'm pretty much going to have to pass on this project, even though it is pretty good money. What are my not so expensive options going forward for the future to get jobs like this done. I know Craig's $55k plockmatic would handle this, but thats not happening any time soon. Thanks guys.

One way to run this job on your existing equipment would be to print the sheets as flat then run them through the press as plain paper to fold and staple them. Using the plain paper setting will allow you to fold and staple up to 25 sheets. Be sure to set it as face up or you will get paper jams from cheating the setting. We do this a lot with no problems.

One way to run this job on your existing equipment would be to print the sheets as flat then run them through the press as plain paper to fold and staple them. Using the plain paper setting will allow you to fold and staple up to 25 sheets. Be sure to set it as face up or you will get paper jams from cheating the setting. We do this a lot with no problems.

Curious- is this interpretation correct --> So you print it first digitally - flat at the proper weight to make sure the toner 'sticks', then run the sets through as blanks at the lower paper weight so you can force the thicker paper on your inline booklet maker?
I run a plock inline for 8 to say - 52 pagers inline, but have to go offline for the larger sheet count books as the engine won't allow the auto-feed of the larger sets to the equipment (even though I can hand feed larger sheet counts....)
I may try this in the future, but I'm not sure how to feed these blank sets without incurring additional click-charges (from a Fiery)? Also, I am wary if there is a jam or misfeed in the unit that the collation would really get messed up?

Curious- is this interpretation correct --> So you print it first digitally - flat at the proper weight to make sure the toner 'sticks', then run the sets through as blanks at the lower paper weight so you can force the thicker paper on your inline booklet maker?
I run a plock inline for 8 to say - 52 pagers inline, but have to go offline for the larger sheet count books as the engine won't allow the auto-feed of the larger sets to the equipment (even though I can hand feed larger sheet counts....)
I may try this in the future, but I'm not sure how to feed these blank sets without incurring additional click-charges (from a Fiery)? Also, I am wary if there is a jam or misfeed in the unit that the collation would really get messed up?

That is exactly what we do. I mostly run then on the D95 which has a click rate of $.0033 or run them through the insertion tray which does not incur clicks. I get by with very few jams that way but when there is a jam you will need to make sure it starts off correctly again.

No Title

Our Morgana/Plockmatic does an awsome job with square fold. I think it was 32 sigs with 100 lb gloss cover. Same book just turned square fold off.

Attachments

• photo5135.jpg
    photo5135.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 277
We get a lot of requests for thick booklets like these. This morning we have finished a batch of instruction manuals that are 96pp + cover. For this type of book, saddle-stitching has the advantage over perfect bound that the manual can be opened flat in the workshop. Because of this demand, we have invested in a Watkiss PowerSquare which handles booklets up to about 200pp, or 10mm finished thickness, with automatic squareback. I believe there is a new Plockmatic machine that will handle roughly the same size.

You can PM me for the pricing on Booklets printing we can surely help you with that with the perfect binding option available.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back