8 fields to be populated with ONE barcode

MGB_LE

My client would like their boxes of product labeled with a barcode they could scan and populate a spreadsheet. Rather than create multiple barcodes, I would like to encode the 7 or 8 fields into a single barcode that would populate quantity, vendors names (our company), product description,unit cost, product name, and total cost (e.g. 9 units @ $5 total cost of $45.) Typically each box will contain at most a couple products, in varying quantity. Icing would be that the barcode include a carriage return after the last field, to kick it to the next line.

I can create the spreadsheet for the client to receive the information, but what is the best approach for creating such a printed label and barcode?

I'm not sure I got your meaning well, but is it Intelligent Mail barcode that you are talking about? Or if the data to be encoded is plenty and multiple, you may consider using 2D barcode(Data matrix, QR code and PDF-417).
As for the label printing, there are now some barcode label printing applications available on Google. You might get some idea from it.
May you success!

To my knowledge there is not a way you can have a single barcode populate multiple fields. You could however have an expression in those fields read in different parts of what you have encoded, provided the data is either of consistent length or always void of a special character such as a pipe |. You could then use a calculated expression in each of the fields to grab the length of data for just that field or the position between pipe characters.

To my knowledge there is not a way you can have a single barcode populate multiple fields. You could however have an expression in those fields read in different parts of what you have encoded, provided the data is either of consistent length or always void of a special character such as a pipe |. You could then use a calculated expression in each of the fields to grab the length of data for just that field or the position between pipe characters.

If the barcode reader works simply as a keyboard that inputs the codes it reads, you can have multiple "fields" if you encode TABs (or similar) inside. Not that I would recommend that, but it is possible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back