A Good Small Perfect Binding Machine, Is there such a thing?

BigSi

Hi There,

I'm trying to locate a good small perfect binding machine at a reasonable cost. It can be a small manual machine as my volumes are quite low. I know the big"Horizons/duplos" are good but my budget won't stretch that far and I do not have enough room. I have heard horror stories about the bench top chinese machines. It needs to do coated stocks and be relatively cheap but most importantly do a GOOD job.

Sales and support in my part of the world would be handy to, Australia/New Zealand but I don't want to ask the earth.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks Simon

Yes, there is such a thing as rotary embossing. It is used for materials in continuous form and without breaks. This involves passing the material between embossing rollers.

Hi, I would strongly recommend to double check the coated stock capabilities. The Sales person will feed your ears with everything you want to hear but it is not necessarily the truth. If your specialty is Coated stocks - you need a PUR glue system to a good job as mentioned - that is important point. That would be a right tool for the job. I don't know what is your budget but this or any other system will not come free or next to nothing and will not be the size of desktop printer. We had purchased Brand new DUPLO DB-250 many years ago for $8000 and it serves us well to the day, there is limited success using thermal glue binders on coated stocks - I am sure that some of us had found a right combination of glue (there are over a dozen of different formulas) and a paper that work OK together but than you need to be flexible on paper and willing to invest time, effort and money in to experimenting. We made some books printed on coated paper (about 5% of what we use this machine for), I had warned the customer that strength of binding will be somewhat compromised due to coated stock but they found that acceptable. Regardless that coated stock books came out OK in my experience, I would strongly advice PUR system if coated stock books will be the main product.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, It's sounds like it is not as straight forward as I was hoping. I might try to pick up a second hand DUPLO DB-250. It might just be in my budget. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice, It's sounds like it is not as straight forward as I was hoping. I might try to pick up a second hand DUPLO DB-250. It might just be in my budget. Thanks again.

I suggest a look at the relatively new Horizon BQ-160 Perfect binder which has an option for short-run PUR (- Standard Duplicating Machines Corporation). This entry-level binder offers Horizon quality and automation in a small footprint with an affordable pricetag.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back