A.I. Humor

Old person in the US here. I know of zero people that write checks. I shop at home. Pay by credit card and either have it delivered or I go and pick it up and they bring it my car just so I don't have to go and experience stupid young people. Get off my lawn!

Old person in the US here. I know of zero people that write checks. I shop at home. Pay by credit card and either have it delivered or I go and pick it up and they bring it my car just so I don't have to go and experience stupid young people. Get off my lawn!

Well that's your problem right there. You need to shop in stores to see people using checks LOL.

I have travelled extensively in the US (except since 2020 due to Covid) and I can assure you that, at least up till that time the use of checks at the check out counter was fairly common - granted, more so with older folks than young. Apparently in the U.S., paper checks - up to around 2002 - accounted for more than 60% of retail payments. Some info can be found here: A Look at U.S. Personal Check Use – OrboGraph
Most other countries have abandoned checks altogether. For example, I (in Canaduh) haven't used a check/cheque in over 30 years. All payments and received funds are done electronically.

I'm also surprised by the minimal adoption of chip and PIN security for credit cards in the US. In most other countries chip and PIN has been in use for at least 10 years.

Now I've got to figure out what a fax machine is. Does it work on a cell phone (haven't had a landline in 30 years).

I have been using chip and pin cards for years. I also use online bill pay. I don't know where these people are that you think are writing checks. I do have a checking account though. I do not write checks from it. I either use online bill pay or the bank issued debit card. Or use a Capital One credit card that earns cash back. For the last 6 months I have had 3 one dollar bills in my wallet. I almost never use cash for anything.

From the article you linked:

Most paper checks are written by businesses and government—60 percent of checks by volume in 2015, according to the 2018 Federal Reserve Payments Study (FRS 2018)
The share of checks written by consumers has declined since 2000, when 45 percent of checks were written by consumers. From 2000 to 2015, the number of checks written by consumers declined from 19.3 billion to 7.1 billion, a drop of 63 percent.
In 2009, U.S. consumers age 18 and older made 13 percent of their payments with checks; in 2018, 5 percent.

Did you not know where you were going when you left the house......" That check should be already made out to the grocery store, signed, handy, and just waiting for the amount from the cashier.
Almost as bad as the printing industry, whereby many/most customers will wait until the last possible second before ordering, despite that they've been warned many times that there comes a limit to what miracles can be performed.

Notice my very cool segue back to the topic of printing, which is what this forum is supposed to be about. Insert halo here.

In France, since 5-10 years, most of the shops refuse cheques, because they have had too much bouncing cheques.
And some also don't accept banknotes more than 50 or 100 euros, because the risk of having a forged bill.

I'm also surprised by the minimal adoption of chip and PIN security for credit cards in the US. In most other countries chip and PIN has been in use for at least 10 years.
Since 1992 in France.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back