A little print nostalgia :)

Wow! ... Did THAT video ever take me back ! ... what a treat to watch.
How many who watch it can accurately pick out what were called the "chase", "stone", "quoin (sp?) .. pronounced 'coin'", "quoin key", "furniture"?
Thanks for posting it.
jack

Wow! ... Did THAT video ever take me back ! ... what a treat to watch.
How many who watch it can accurately pick out what were called the "chase", "stone", "quoin (sp?) .. pronounced 'coin'", "quoin key", "furniture"?
Thanks for posting it.
jack

In the eighth grade in junior high school I was the fastest typesetter in printing class. We are talking real type, from a case, setting it, and then locking it in a chase, on a stone, with wood furniture. This was in the late 1960's, wow. Thanks for posting that film, Lukas.

-Sev

Not sure if anybody had seen this, but there's a documentary coming out this week "Linotype:The Film" and it has screening around the country. I've got tix for the Baltimore show this Friday, a few co-workers are knocking off early. Should be interesting.

Update: That was a really well done film, seriously. If it comes any where near anybody who has even a passing interest in our collective history, don't miss it. They're doing a 2nd showing in Baltimore at the Museum of Industry May 3rd, they still operate a Linotype every weekend too so I may round up some more people to go to that one also.

Update: They're doing a 2nd showing in Baltimore at the Museum of Industry May 3rd, they still operate a Linotype every weekend too so I may round up some more people to go to that one also.

Gee, is it OSHA approved...thinking about the melted pigs of lead. :)

Ya know, that exact question came up during the Q&A after the viewing we attended, and the general consensus was that there were never any tangible ill health effects from operating a Linotype. The "lead" is actually some kind of metal alloy mixture they said, not 100% lead and I guess the fumes from the melted compound weren't pegged as being harmful.

Now, one of the clips did mention that once in a while the machine would "squirt" and a skilled operator would recognize the sound in enough time to get out of the way before it shot hot metal straight out! :eek:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back