ab dick aquamatic system with copper roller

kswichael

I am running an ab dick with the aquamatic system (copper water roller). Recently have been getting about a 2" wide area near the middle, usually in non-image situations, where scumming is occurring. The water ductor roller looks very slick in that area (I assume emulsification) and the copper water roller builds up ink in that area as well. My question is: could the copper water roller become sensitized in that area, and if so, does it need to be conditioned from time to time such as periodically desensitized. Thanks for any help.

I've been corrected on this, but for the copper roller Ajax (or generic scouring powder) & water does wonders.
I did not know about blue etch at the time, but blue etch is an appropriate finish for any (rubber) roller that is intended to run clean/without ink.

No Blue Etch for the copper roller

Last edited:
It's been years since I've operated an AB Dick. But yes the copper water roller can become sensitized.

I've been corrected on this, but for the copper roller Ajax (or generic scouring powder) & water does wonders.
I did not know about blue etch at the time, but blue etch is an appropriate finish for any (rubber) roller that is intended to run clean/without ink.

Scour the roller with Ajax powder. Make sure that roller is wiped clean after scouring. You don't want to see any residual Ajax left on the roller. Follow up with a coat of Gum Arabic.
It sounds odd, but Ajax does work wonders as stated by pdan.

Blue etch is is a no no. It makes the roller repel ink.

AB Dick has/had a product called roller conditioner that helps with copper rollers also. It is a tan watery liquid. I would put enough in the fountain to contact the pan roller, disengage the water system, and then run the press for 10 minutes at low speed. You can drain it back in the bottle and reuse it.

kswichael,
As you know with the copper roller/aquamatic system the dampener rollers are inked up and not intended to run clean/ink free. The Ajax advice is good tried and true method for cleaning the copper roller scotch brite pad is another good method. Be sure to clean and rinse well. Follow up with ABDick Offset Roller Desensitizer 4-4970 and Ink Roller Conditioner 4-4976 if you can find them. I'm sure that there are many other similar roller treatments but I'm not familiar with them. Someone else with more knowledge will probably be along soon to give you some better advice.

Hi - i have several AB Dick's, two with copper rollers. Good advice on cleaning with a bit of Ajax. Don't forget to clean the RUBBER roller also. It can become hard, glazed and impervious to ink / solution. Give it a good scrubbing. If you can ever get a new one, you'll enjoy the ride!

What often happens on these duplicators is that the rest of the rollers aren't cleaned well, and you try to throw too much ink into the roller train to get a dark impression. The ink overloads the system and ends up on your water rollers. Give the whole roller train, included teflon rollers, a good cleaning and you'll be set to go. AB Dick 1115 fountain solution is great for this press. (I use laquer thinner for a deep cleaning, but don't tell anyone. It's stinky, burns your hands, but is readily available and will take EVERYTHING off the rollers and leave them silky clean. Just don't use it too often, it "dries" the rubber out). Good luck! BG

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back