AB DICK roller settings

I just started working on an AB DICK 9870 and the press is in pretty bad shape. I was looking through the operating manual and cannot find the information for setting the rollers. I don't want to screw it up any more than it is. I can make out where the settings for the forms are but also need to find the settings to the dist rollers. If anyone can help me find out where to get something with the settings this would prevent a lot of trial and error. Thank you.

Hi Kevin
If you have found the forms adjustments then you have got you what you need. Is passed to the form rollers from the ink well by a combination of Distributor rollers and ink rollers that hold themselves at the right point by the weight of the rollers sitting down on them. The only issue with distributor rollers can be that they have a groove that they sit in for nights.
With the forms I am assuming you have got the ones on the back of the machine that adjust the rollers parrallel then sdjustment on the operators side to sdjust the gap.

I have found the adjustments for the forms and I did try to adjust them the issue comes in on the ecentric. I keep getting one side off the plate and then a fat stripe on the other, the other issue comes in is that the roller goes back off the plate if the distributer is not installed. I did know that the weight of the other rollers would settle in to the correct settings for the distribution of the ink throughout the ink rollers. I was hoping to find like a pdf that explained it in a little more detail along with the settings for the ductor. I have cleaned up the drips and hard ink all over the back side and got it to touch in most places but figured there could be a setting there also.

I could also use something to set the crestline watter rollers. This one has at least two settings. I have run a lot of different presses and I know how easy it is to start chewing up rollers if the settings are aoff even slightly. Thank You for your reply.

I have turned the adjustments. I can not seem to getthe form foller and the occ roller to maintain contactat the same time. I have installed new form rollers and have the same issue. Still looking for something that will help walk through the settings.

Hi Kevin,

I feel your pain, but the ABDick form adjustments are much easier than the t-51 colorhead that attaches to that press. There are two long screws on those adjustments, a top and a bottom. The bottom is not the adjustment even though one might think it is. The top (the long screw with the nut against the frame) is actually the adjustment. Depending on the model of the ABDick you have (I know you have the 9870), some increase the pressure by turning clockwise and others counterclockwise. The reason you may be getting one side heavy and the other not touching is that clockwise on operator side will get you the opposite results as clockwise on the driveside. I can send you a copy of the instructions to adjust this if you want.

I would love a copy just to make sure I am following the correct proceedures. This is a big issue with the press I need to get the rollers to set correcly and the closer I get the less toning issues I am having. I am wondering if maybe the ecentrics for the settings are an issue. I have noticed that the rollers brackets are held in place with springs and there is a lot of movement back and forth. Not sideways. If it was sideways I would shim the rollers to prevent the side lash of the rollers which would cause the toning also. The more info I have the better. Thank you.

kevin

kevin

Kevin,
The 9870 is a good solid machine. The form adjustments are very easy. Also no need to shim for end play as there are end play adjustments on the Non-Op side via a 3/32 set screw in the form block.
The top form is adjusted like this: When you turn the adjustment screw TOWARDS the plate the form stripe will increase!!!!! The bottom is just the opposite. Very easy just watch how the roller moves. This applies to both the op/non-op side.
If you are using the 3rd form I suggest you remove it to ensure that is not causing your toning. Always remember when you adjust the top form you must also check the water ductor parallel to insure proper contact, if you have a continuous dampener than by pass that step.
It is too bad Presstek stopped the manufacturing of this fine USA made press and instead killed the brand name to push their Ryobi based digital copiers they call a press.
Best of luck Kevin
CYMK

Kevin,
It is too bad Presstek stopped the manufacturing of this fine USA made press and instead killed the brand name to push their Ryobi based digital copiers they call a press.
Best of luck Kevin
CYMK

Exactly right.

If you still want that sheet, please send me your email address
westbendatverizon.net

It has been a long time but the eccentrics have to be going the correct way. I dont remember exactly how this works but if you are on the back side of the eccentric it will not work. Seems to me even with an AB Dick mechanic he had troubles adjusting them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back