ABDick 9995 E-2 Error

Hi! First time post. I'm getting an E-2 error on an ABDick 9995. The Electrical Service Manual says this is a poor encoder z phase input. The machine jogs fine and doesn't cause an error. When pressing the start button (at any speed) the machine will crawl - slower than the normal jog - for a few inches and then give the error. Pressing the stop button clears the error. Continually starting the machine at the slow jog and clearing the error will eventually get the machine running.

I've tried doing the timing procedure where you put the machine in service mode, put the timing wheel on 0 deg and loosen the encoder and adjust until the buzzer goes off. This doesn't make a difference.

I've taken the motor off and had it serviced (they just replaced the bearings). They said it looked fine.

The incoming voltage to the inverter is 208. The voltages coming off sp + and sp - match the book. There is a 0.08 volt drop when measuring from sp + & - to the inverter wires 2 and 5. Not sure if this is anything or not.

I'm not sure why it eventually starts working. Any ideas of what to check?

Thanks,
Mike Wallace

Im no AB Dick expert, but is there a contactor between the invertor and the motor, or anywhere in the control circuit ? sounds like a contactor going out, or dirty.

JMTC...

There aren't any contactors - but I was wondering if there were some way to test the transformers? There is a large transformer next to the motor - in measuring the voltage coming off it - it's about 5-10% lower than the voltage the label says it should be. How do I test the transformer to see if it's good?

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Sir,
In reply to your help question I would like to offer some help.
The machine may say AB Dick but it is just a Ryobi 3302H. The E-2 error is due to the CPU output waiting for the encoder to say hello we are now turning at the proper speed etc.
There is a key element between the inverter and the drive motor. It is a component that when satisfied completes the circuit. That should be checked first as sometimes they act erratic.
I recently also had an inverter go bad and cause that issue also.
With regards to line voltage if you look on the plug there is most likely a yellow tag that states 208V.
Check the line voltage the machine is plugged into.
Best of luck with your trouble shooting

Hello Mike:
In our experience with the 9985 it could be low voltage: we always got this message at the old place until we moved to a bigger place. There the machine was plugged into a 220 line and it just went away. The manual says 208 but the electrician assured me that it is true 208 but it allows up to 220 and we have been running this bad boy ever since for about 15 years now still with its original drive motor.

Good luck Mike and have a fine day!

This morning when we finally got the machine running - I took the drive belt off and started the machine. The motor ran at rated speed and gave the E-2 error. When I cleared the error and put the belt back on and started the machine it ran at rated speed. Next we turned the power off and back on. When we pressed the start button - it did not run properly. This is leading me to believe it is the inverter.

Regarding the low voltage. I've checked the voltage when it's running at rated speed and when it's not working and I don't notice any difference. I've checked the control voltages, line voltage coming in to the inverter and voltages on the main transformer next to the motor. I agree that it could be the voltage - but I don't understand why it won't work until we run it awhile. Then once it's been working and we turn the machine off and then back on - it won't work again.

Thanks so much for all the help - I greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks for all the help - we're back up and running now. I ordered a new inverter and installed it. I also had to go through and reprogram the parameters on it. The motor was making a noise so I also had to make a call to Mistubishi to tune the inverter. The tech new exactly what parameter to tweak to make everything hunky dori! A BIG SHOUT OUT TO RICH AKA SMALLOFFSETPRESSEXPERTS for all the offline help. This was definitely not a repair for the faint of heart!! I never was 100% sure the inverter was the issue - which made it somewhat scary to spend the money on an expensive part... luckily that was the issue!

Thanks again!!
Mike

Mike,
Thank you for the kind words you are a pleasure to deal with. Plus you know your stuff and an owner that is willing to get his hands dirty. I respect that!
If I may help in the future just ask.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back