about digital printers?

P

pam_add

Our company thinking to buy a digital printer to become first one in our area
But we don't have much knowledge about them
We are thinking to print small amount of book
Maybe also stickers, covers, business card
Botten line we need light production in first years until market is accept this new tech (old for the most of the world)
So there are laser vs inkjet , what about the budgets and finishing stage (varnish,lamination)
Thanks for your input and time

Last edited by a moderator:
Pam,
You can start slow and cherry pick the applications that will best serve your markets. There are a LOT of really good printers/presses that will serve your needs. But the selection process can be confusing.... and the vendors will all tell you what you want to hear, so you need to do your homework and due diligence. Some things to consider:

> It's not about the press. It's what you can do with it.
> Decide what kinds of jobs make the most sense. These can be taken from existing business as well as new work.
> Identify jobs where digital adds value for the customer and reduces your costs. Preferably both: print volumes with digital are lower so you have to really pay attention to your costs and to retail pricing. Price work based on value to the customer, like for shorter turnaround times, short run lengths, customization, etc.
> Talk to your customers to identify and understand their pain points and find a way ease the pain with digital print. And recognize they may already be going to another print provider for digital printing.
> Who is your competition? What equipment are they using? How are they using it? What do they charge? How can you deliver better value?
> Be able to provide a complete production solution from job intake to delivery: job acceptance, prepress, printing, finishing, delivery. Lots of details here, but it's essential to minimize handling by staff. Automation is important.
> Have a formal marketing plan for promoting the new capabilities, including a sales strategy. Your sales people will need to be prepared to sell digital and you will have to compensate them differently than you do for conventional printing. Digital adds a lot of value, and short run is only one element.

These are starting points. There's a lot to this.

In our region we don't have any digital printers except those using a4 or a3 canon inkjet printer's modified locally to accept ink tanks and using Chinese inks to print on materials like 250 g fabriano cartoons .
And the all remain works print on tradional offset press (but in our region the prices is her low) like:
50×35 print cost 32 us dollars
And 50×70 print 52 us dollars
Sur 4 colors print with plates preparation and for quantity 1-2000
I can survive with digital printer can print on side range media with this prices in the market?
The other problem is the no agency in my area have digital printer or service I must do special order them import the printer my self and handle the maintenance and parts supply

I assume you're talking about a xerographic production printer which can print SRA3-like pages in a sensible time frame. IMHO there are two problems:
  • these printers need way too much service in comparison to a traditional offset press. If you don't have a service centre within a 100 km radius, the project is unfeasible - you will have very long production pauses due to missing parts.
  • the prices you mentioned for the offset production are indeed low. Competing with these prices means you'll have to operate the digital printer at extremely low volumes, like 20-100 copies. Below that, the inkjet guys will be cheaper, over that the offset will be the choice for the customers.

My goal is light production inkjet printer width 50 cm i can easily print a book in black and white with som color pics in low quantity like 100 or some menus for restaurant s the problem is i need printer can print on offset media's like glossy paper and carton 300 sqm i heard about nanoprint any ideas? Www.landanano.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I regular print offset media and GC1 up to 325 sqm on an xerox igen4 press. quality in not so exiting but affordable

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back