Accuset 1000 Plus, out of media

craytonprinting

We have an Accuset 1000 Plus that has been giving us the run around! We just loaded a new roll of film, following the manual directions. When moving to the sets of "loading" the film on the machine we hit a problem. We can take the machine offline, hit load, then enter it will make noise and you can hear it pulling the film across the laser threshold and it will pull nearly 3 feet of film out into the cassette area and then shot an "Out of Media" error even though it is a brand new roll of film! Any ideas? We cannot even cut or feed more film because it insists that it is out of film. Thank you in advanced!

I've seen this behavior caused by a bad cassette. If I remember right, the input cassette has a braking mechanism that holds the roll so the machine can tension it. If that braking mechanism in the cassette is slipping, you'll see the problem you are having because the machine can't tension the roll. Try to remove the input cassette from the machine and see if you can tug on the film. If the cassette is out of the machine and the roll spins, check the braking mechanism in the cassette. There is a little lever on the bottom of the cassette that allows the machine to apply the brake. If the cassette is out of machine, the brake is on. Hope that helps.

When the cassette is out of the machine you cannot pull on the film, the brake is tight. The lever might be not working because you cannot move it up or down to let the film roll.

So it sounds like that might be your problem. The roll should move smoothly when the lever is lifted. (Or when the cassette is in the machine). I can't remember how the brake works. If you take apart the cassette you might be able to figure out what the problem is/how the lever operates.

It seems to me I used to have to snap something back into place on occasion or generally reset the thing if there was a problem with the brake. Sorry that I can't give you more detail. I don't have access to the machine anymore.

We have an Accuset 1000 Plus that has been giving us the run around! We just loaded a new roll of film, following the manual directions. When moving to the sets of "loading" the film on the machine we hit a problem. We can take the machine offline, hit load, then enter it will make noise and you can hear it pulling the film across the laser threshold and it will pull nearly 3 feet of film out into the cassette area and then shot an "Out of Media" error even though it is a brand new roll of film! Any ideas? We cannot even cut or feed more film because it insists that it is out of film. Thank you in advanced!

Meaning: The system sensed a loss of tension on the media. This is
an indication that no media is present.
Action: Take the AccuSet off line. Press CLEAR to remove the message,
then reload media.
If the AccuSet is on line, pressing CLEAR does not permanently
clear the Out Of Media message. After one second,
the message reappears.

In your case, it is better to work on your cassette or try another cassette to see if the problem is really from the Cassette. Out of Media can be the result of poor tensioner assembly alignments. Supply Tension alignment procedure has to be carried out by a qualified service Engineer. So do not ask me to post the procedure here. You may damage your machine.

This is how the assembly works:
The diagram attached shows the mechanical components of the media path. The
supply, capstan, and take up servos comprise the media transport system. The
capstan roller and servo motion are synchronized with the spinner motor to produce
precise imaging on the media. Media tension is measured and applied by the
take-up rollers and spring loaded arms. The supply servo responds to the take-up
signal to move media into and out of the supply canister. The take-up pinch (or
nip) rollers and servo motor anchors the end of the media and feeds the exposed
media into the cutter, take-up canister, or media buffer.
Potentiometers on the supply and take-up tension arms provide the position error
voltage that controls the supply and take-up servos
The supply servo feeds the
media from the supply canister at the proper rate to keep the supply tension arm
nearly at a fixed position, thereby keeping nearly constant media tension on the
supply side of the capstan. Similarly, the take-up servo drives the pinch rollers at
the proper rate to keep the take-up tension arm nearly at a fixed position, thereby
keeping nearly constant media tension on the take-up side of the capstan.
The tension in the media is kept nearly the same on both sides of the capstan,
and variations of media tension are kept small. This minimizes load torques on
the capstan, thereby allowing the capstan to position the media accurately as it is
being exposed
. Hope this will help!

Attachments

• 12bv.JPG
    12bv.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Excellent stuff above, and totally accurate, but WAY beyond the scope of what's called for here.

Do a "LOAD-ENTER" with all the covers open. Watch the film and the 2 moveable arms.

What you will probably see is the supply side (left) arm start to go down, then pop back up.

The system is losing tension on the supply side of the film. Likely causes include the supply cassette, or the supply drive motor. If the film is not properly on the cassette, or the ends are not latched tight, if it is possible to spin the film roll on the shaft, the machine won't work. Open the cassette, and make sure the film is centered, and both sides are latched tight. a common error is to have one side in the 14" position, the other in the 12" position, and 13.3" film. You can't latch both ends, and the film will spin.

The other common problem is the supply motor. It is mounted on a spring loaded hinged flap. The spring gets loose, or the hinge breaks. The hinge breaks so often that agfa made a new one, available (from me) as a mod kit. Wiggle the motor around, if it flops all over the hinge is broken.

The pictures show the mod kit, and the lit installed in a machine. If yours looks different, you don't have it.

A good test of the media drive system is to do a motor cleaning (options - enter, select to motor cleaning, enter) The system will spin the supply and takeup motors (not the capstain, see diagram above) If you move the tensioner rollers down, you can change the speed on the motors. If you can speed up and slow down both motors, the media feed system is working properly.

Attachments

• P0002639.jpg
    P0002639.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 330
  • P0002640.jpg
    P0002640.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 328
Excellent stuff above, and totally accurate, but WAY beyond the scope of what's called for here.

Do a "LOAD-ENTER" with all the covers open. Watch the film and the 2 moveable arms.

What you will probably see is the supply side (left) arm start to go down, then pop back up.

The system is losing tension on the supply side of the film. Likely causes include the supply cassette, or the supply drive motor. If the film is not properly on the cassette, or the ends are not latched tight, if it is possible to spin the film roll on the shaft, the machine won't work. Open the cassette, and make sure the film is centered, and both sides are latched tight. a common error is to have one side in the 14" position, the other in the 12" position, and 13.3" film. You can't latch both ends, and the film will spin.

The other common problem is the supply motor. It is mounted on a spring loaded hinged flap. The spring gets loose, or the hinge breaks. The hinge breaks so often that made a new one, available (from me) as a mod kit. Wiggle the motor around, if it flops all over the hinge is broken.

The pictures show the mod kit, and the lit installed in a machine. If yours looks different, you don't have it.

A good test of the media drive system is to do a motor cleaning (options - enter, select to motor cleaning, enter) The system will spin the supply and takeup motors (not the capstain, see diagram above) If you move the tensioner rollers down, you can change the speed on the motors. If you can speed up and slow down both motors, the media feed system is working properly.
Well explained. if you follow the instructions explained here, you will fix the problem.

One more thing can cause "Out of Media" error - broken small ball bearing at the Supply Cassette's shaft. (5 or more times in my practice). Check a rotation of that shaft with cover removed off the cassette and a lever of a shaft braker engaged.

Last edited:
One more thing can cause "Out of Media" error - broken small ball bearing at the Supply Cassette's shaft. (5 or more times in my practice). Check a rotation of that shaft with cover removed off the cassette and a lever of a shaft braker engaged.

Hello Vlad, Hope you are doing O.K.

Long time no talk. I think the cause of problem was the cassette . He hasn't continued providing us with any feed back for a long time.

Take Care.

Agfa 1000 -

Agfa 1000 -

We have an Agfa 1000 - w/Mac - Viper 3.04 rip.- G & J Film Processor. Is there still any market for these? Have on ebay but no action on it at all... Thanks!

Good stuff for small printshops... but the question (and the answer inside) is: how many of them are still alive?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back