Acrobat 8 vs. Acrobat 9 file opening

pajdzn

Has anyone experienced Acrobat 9 being incredibly slow to open files? I opened the same pdf in Acrobat 8 and 9 and in Vs. 8 it opened in 3.3 seconds while in Vs. 9 it took over 3 minutes and wasn't completely previewing when it was done.

Any theories would really be appreciated. Meanwhile I guess it is back to Acrobat 8 again.

Thank you

Was that incuding opening the software? Could be you have different preview options, there is not nearly enough information to find the answer to your question. Would need information about the file, possibly even have a sample file. Would need information about your computer and about Operating system, and possibly more.

If you have Pitstop 9 installed on your Mac, opening PDF from SMB network share, that is your culprit.
Just one of the possibilities.

Has anyone experienced Acrobat 9 being incredibly slow to open files? I opened the same pdf in Acrobat 8 and 9 and in Vs. 8 it opened in 3.3 seconds while in Vs. 9 it took over 3 minutes and wasn't completely previewing when it was done.

Any theories would really be appreciated. Meanwhile I guess it is back to Acrobat 8 again.

Turn off any 3rd party plugins that you have installed and try again. Many plugins haven't been updated for full Acrobat 9 support including its "delay loading" feature.

Thank you all for your responses. Zoran has hit the bullseye, that describes our setup to a T. Are there any solutions to the problem, perhaps just working off the computer and not the network?

I open PDF's into Acrobat 9 all day every day from an SMB share and have no issues with it.

Thank you all for your responses. Zoran has hit the bullseye, that describes our setup to a T. Are there any solutions to the problem, perhaps just working off the computer and not the network?

I submitted support request to Enfocus than it took long time to get any response.
Finally when I got response, they told me it is "known bug", probably known internally in Enfocus since their knowledgebase does not mention it.
Finally I was told it will be fixed in next update.
Next update 9.02 came and it wasn't fixed.
When I asked what happened to fix they said it was too close to release of 9.02 update so it will be in next, next update.
I've been waiting since than, probably couple of months now without hope.
In meantime I've had to uninstall Pistop 9 from all Mac production machines and revert them back to Pitstop 8 under Acrobat 9 which works ok. Pitstop 9 brought our Production to it's knees.
Be careful when you uninstall Pistop 9 not to leave any leftovers.
Here is good article on how to remove Pitstop 9 on Mac from Enfocus Knowledgebase:
http://www.enfocus.com/kb.php?id=6031

Good luck and keep an eye on next update of Pitstop, 9.03 if it ever comes out.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back