Acrobat - locked PDFs - RIP

Must we always go through this? How about RIPping and trapping are forms of file modification, and therefore are generally subject to security restrictions placed on the file. Does that work?

I guess so...

The simple process of converting a PDF to a raster image, otherwise known as RIPping a PDF, does NOT modify the PDF and thus is NOT subject to security restrictions EXCEPT for printing. If the conversion to image is done as part of an "export" or "save as" process (such as Acrobat's Save as TIFF), then restrictions on Export would apply.

I can state the above with 100% certainty as I am the person who wrote that section of ISO 32000-1:2008 (the PDF standard).

However, just an FYI - if you print a secured PDF to Postscript, you can't refry it! The Postscript can only be printed - it can't be redistilled.

This is not correct, after some trivial editing to the postscript file it can be redistilled.
You can argue that it might be illegal to do so in the USA, but in other jurisdictions it is most certainly not.

Some postscript interpreters that are capable of creating PDF ignore these instruction in the postscript file as well.

In most cases you should not do such things and insist on a PDF without the restrictions instead, though.

Dov - This is Screen Trueflow V 7.2 I believe.
It is an APPE rip.

I wonder if it is the trapping that is causing the issue? Obviously, if two vectors intersect, and require trapping, then the PDF must be opened and changed.
That is probably what is happening?

As to the "Crimes against Guttenberg"....I LOVE THIS! I can just see the Guttenberg Hearings where we try "criminals" for what they have done to defenseless PDFs!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back