Adobe Default Working Space

arossetti

Why is the default still US Web Coated instead of GRACoL, or something more current? Wouldn't even Device CMYK be better than clipping a file's gamut down to an old SWOP setting?

Why is Adobe so slow to react to current color trends?

This is of course only for the North American preset colour settings (except newsprint).

I can think of two reasons:

1) Legacy compatibility (not an excuse for Adobe, when it is time to move on, do so Adobe)

2) There is no Adobe GRACoL profile that I am aware of that delivers 300% total ink, which as above for compatibility reasons would be critical. Yes, the Adobe ISO/Fogra profile does have an ink limit over 300% – so so much for that theory! :]

With regular updates to CC, one would think that Adobe could react fast and update colour settings and profiles. That being said, software moves fast, the industry does not! Generally, Adobe make their own profiles from standard characterisation data, rather than using profiles created by others (so no worries about ICC licensing issues). The good thing about Adobe ICC profiles is that they generally have a very tame perceptual rendering intent, apart from gamut compression, there are no large shifts in tonality that some other profiles offer as part of their perceptual table. So by using a profile for a given condition from Adobe and by another party, one can try different rendering intents to see if they have the desired effect on “tricky” out of gamut conversions.

At least users for the “rest of the world” can download the ECI ISO Coated v2 300% ICC profile if ink limits are a concern.

Downloads [ECI.ORG]
VIGC Max TAC ICC-profiles

For those who run to GRACoL…is it GRACoL2006 or GRACoL2013???

SWOP2013 and GRACoL2013 ICC Profiles | IDEAlliance

There are some “new” profiles here which have GRACoL2013 and suitable ink limits:

ICC Profile Registry

However I don’t think that there is a GRACoL13 C1 profile that is 300% limited?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I think it's pretty much a legacy thing - they have been using US Web Coated SWOP v2 since the inception of ICC profiles within PS. I don't see that changing. But they do ship CC with GRACoL 2006, SWOP 3 2006 and SWOP 5 2006 - but not the current 2013 profiles for each. The 2013 specs are based on the updated lighting standard 3664:2009 - you can read more in my blog about it here... The Color Management Blog: Have You Seen The Light?. 2013 hasn't hit the mainstream yet, and even the IDEAlliance is still "qualifying" G7 Master Printers to the 2006 specs. Companies will need to upgrade lighting, probably proofing media, and M1 capable measurement devices in order to achieve 2013 verification and/or qualification.

I think it's pretty much a legacy thing - they have been using US Web Coated SWOP v2 since the inception of ICC profiles within PS. I don't see that changing. But they do ship CC with GRACoL 2006, SWOP 3 2006 and SWOP 5 2006 - but not the current 2013 profiles for each. The 2013 specs are based on the updated lighting standard 3664:2009 - you can read more in my blog about it here... The Color Management Blog: Have You Seen The Light?. 2013 hasn't hit the mainstream yet, and even the IDEAlliance is still "qualifying" G7 Master Printers to the 2006 specs. Companies will need to upgrade lighting, probably proofing media, and M1 capable measurement devices in order to achieve 2013 verification and/or qualification.

Granted we are a digital shop so the transition I think is easier for us but we have moved to CGATS 21 RPC-6.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back