Advice on a really good FIRST press and platemaker

[email protected]

Any comments welcome. I'm looking for some really good advice on getting my first offset sheet fed press.

I've zero experience working with these myself. There's two goals I want to accomplish, one have a press to fiddle around with to learn more as I go; and two, have a press that will allow me to expand and offer more printing capabilities.

My background is actually servicing toner devices, and anything specialized, finishing, offset, envelopes is 100% outsourced.

On other forums, a few people recommended a Heidelberg SM52 (not sure how many tower version). I couldn't find very many of them but they seemed really expensive for a first press for me ($500,000-$750,000).

Some people recommended a Presstek but others didn't because of click charges??? Kind of want to stay away from that on an offset press.

I get trade magazines and it seems there's a lot of manufacturers out there and a lot of re-branding of oem presses...so any help would be appreciated.

...another question would be how to make the plates...seems there's metal and polyester and the price range can be huge.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back