Advice on developing digital sales?

easiprint

Hi

Been observing these forums for a while, and finally decided to join today. This may be a cheeky question, or in the wrong place, and if so just tell me!!!!!

We are a small print shop in the UK, run by myself and my wife, with one part time finishing lady. We have been trading for about 5 years full time (another 5 before that part time), and currently have many finishing machines and the following presses:

AB Dick 375 one colour A3 Offset
Xerox DC12 Colour
Xerox DC242 Colour
XPress On Demand Colour Production Press (A rebadged OKI C9650 sold as a production machine)
Canon IR7105 mono 105ppm with booklet finisher

As you can see, we are set up mainly for digital production. We are now looking to grow the business substantially, and to this we have just hired a salesman. He has no print experience, but has a good sales background in advertising and marketing sales. I think it would make sense for him to concentrate on growing the digital sales instead of offset, but we are struggeling to identify which markets and products he should concentrate on. Has anyone got any advice? I keep coming back to technical manuals and the like as an area of good profit, but is it?

Also, at present we tend to do a lot of full colour leaflets. Obviously we do anything up to 1000 here on our digital presses, but anything over that gets outsourced. I have heard however of printers running much larger jobs on their digital presses - how is this possible, as surely the click charges cannot compete with offset once you get into the thousands?

As I say, I am sorry if this is a bit cheeky, but you all seem so friendly and I hope to spend many hours on here in the evenings chatting with you all.

Thanks in advance!!

Simon
easiprint.biz

Question

Question

What sort of competition do you have locally? What sort of print products do they offer? What's your client pool look like? Have you met with each of your current clients to see what sort of print challenges they have?

From what I've seen there are a hundred different ways to approach the printing business these days, but, what it wall boils down to is what can you sell to your market? Maybe Manuals is a great deal for you? But I'd let your customers tell you... easier to sell it that way. :)

Looking forward to seeing how you progress and what others say.

Best of luck!
Michael

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back